With a shared a commitment to improving the lives of others and making a difference in our community, the YMCA of San Diego County is pleased to announce a partnership with the Challenged Athletes Foundation (CAF). Beginning Feb. 1, 2013, more than 150 San Diego based physically challenged athletes and their immediate families received a complimentary lifetime Y Family Membership.
"Because the Y is for everyone, we bring together children, adults and families of all abilities like no other organization can," said Baron Herdelin-Doherty, President and CEO, YMCA of San Diego County. "We want to give back and support our neighbors. We hope to assist and provide these incredible challenged athletes with the guidance and resources needed to achieve greater health and well-being for spirit, mind and body."
Established in 1997, CAF grew out of a desire to assist one athlete paralyzed in a triathlon. From this modest beginning arose a more important mission to make sure people with physical challenges have the same freedom to enjoy sports as everyone else. Today, the Challenged Athletes Foundation has raised more than $40 million and funded close to 7,000 grant requests from challenged athletes around the world.
Beginning Feb. 5, 2013, qualifying CAF challenged athletes are encouraged to visit their local Y branch to sign up for their family membership. Qualification inquiries can be sent to Travis Ricks at [email protected].
Belonging to the Y means challenged athletes will be able to find a safe and encouraging environment to participate in sports and physical activities. It will provide a positive atmosphere for their children to learn values, social skills and behaviors, where their family can come together to have fun and spend quality time with each other, connect with friends, pursue interests and learn how to live healthier. Find your local Y.
Y Membership Benefits:
- State-of-the-Art Facilities, Equipment and Amenities: Newly Renovated Fitness & Wellness Centers, Gyms, Indoor and Outdoor Pools, Skateparks, Waterslides and Splash Pads
- Group Exercise Classes like BODYPUMP, Zumba and TRX. Pilates and Yoga classes: Mat Pilates, Fitness Yoga and Tai Chi and Water Exercise classes
- Professional and nationally-certified fitness and wellness experts on staff
- Nutrition and Weight Management
- Specialized one-on-one or small group Personal Training and Water Personal Training
- FREE fitness consultations and orientations
- FREE fitness assessment
- FREE kids` fitness programs
- CONVENIENT ACCESS to 18 YMCA Locations in San Diego CountyOPEN 7 days a week
- FREE guest passes each year
- FREE on-site childcare, Child Watch, while you work out in many locations
- FREE family programs and events
- SPECIAL RATES on programs, including adult swim lessons, youth sports and more
- Teen leadership opportunities, Youth in Government, Gymnastics and more