SOCIAL CONNECTIONS: Positive relationships that provide emotional, informational, and spiritual support.
With “social distancing” guidelines, it is easy to feel isolated and overwhelmed. Being physically apart is necessary, and staying connected is more important than ever.
This is true for children as well who are now also trying to adapt to a new virtual way of connecting. Kids may be missing their friends, teachers and other important figures and perhaps this is coming out in various behaviors. Finding the people who can support you in these times might take some creativity, but the benefits are never-ending. Protecting your families and yourself is not something you are expected to do alone; we all need our social connections!
Here are a few strategies you can implement today:
On a piece of paper trace your hand.
- On your thumb, write the name of the last adult that gave you a thumbs up.
- On your pointer/index finger, write the name of an adult that you point to as a symbol of strength currently.
- On your middle finger, write the name of an adult who has helped you through moments that weren’t your best.
- On your ring finger write the name of an adult who has partnered with you on a project.
- On your pinky finger write the name of person who has kept a promise to you
Find the email or phone number of person and write it next to their name.
Make a goal to reach out to at least one of these people in the next five days.
Virtual Conversation Cafés
Virtual Conversation Cafés are safe spaces where parents and caregivers talk about the challenges and victories of raising a family during these challenging times. Through individual self-reflection and peer-to-peer learning, participants explore their strengths, learn about the Protective Factors, and create strategies from their own wisdom and experiences to help strengthen their families. (Families and child care providers).
Register today: https://ymcavirtualconversationcafes.eventbrite.com
(Download the PDF in order to activate the links within the document.)
For information on protective factors and the Strengthening Families™ approach, email [email protected] or call 1-800-481-2151.
OTHER PROTECTIVE FACTORS
Take a look at the Key Protective Factors at a glance HERE.