Week of August 3, 2020
Y KIDS NEWS
When school's out, the Y is in! We hope you enjoy this edition of Y Kids News, a newsletter with games and activities you can do from home!
THIS WEEK'S THEME:
AROUND THE WORLD
Calling world travelers, young and old! The bags are packed and our flights are booked — let's take a trip around the world! Check out this week's games, recipes, trivia, jokes and more!
FAMILY WORD WORKOUT
Our Y families are staying active and having fun with Family Word Workouts. Each letter of the alphabet represents a different exercise! This week, we're challenging you to an "Around the World" themed workout every day. Using the alphabet worksheet and words below, participate in a new workout each day!
- Monday: PEOPLE
- Tuesday: HEMISPHERE
- Wednesday: CONTINENTS
- Thursday: LANGUAGE
- Friday: CULTURE
Also, check our social channels (@YMCASANDIEGO) throughout the week for more get-you-moving words.
- Two eggs
- One cup of milk
- ¾ cup flour
- Two tbsp. butter (melted)
- One tbsp. sugar
- Flavored jam or fresh fruit
- Powdered sugar
¼ tsp. kosher salt
- Crack eggs into blender. Add milk, melted butter, flour, sugar and salt. Blend until smooth.
- Preheat skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray. Pour ¼ cup batter into center of pan.
- Immediately lift pan by it's handle. Rotate your wrist to tip pan and spread batter to the edges.
- Cook until top appears dry, about 30-60 seconds. Use a spatula to lift and flip crêpe.
- Cook about 20 seconds more. Repeat process for remaining crêpes.
- Serve crêpes with jam, fruit and powdered sugar. Enjoy!
- How many languages are spoken around the world?
- Most countries use the metric system. How many do not?
- What country do people visit the most?
- If all seven billion people on Earth stood shoulder-to-shoulder, what city could we fill?
See answers below.
- Did you hear about the population of Ireland?
- What stays in the corner but goes around the world?
See answers below.
FUN ACTIVITIES AT HOME
ABSTRACT ART WITH KATE
Kate from Cameron Family YMCA will lead us in a creative activity. Grab a paper and coloring utensils for some abstract art! Listen and take good notes! You could be featured on our social media channels when you share your picture or video!
WORD SEARCH ACTIVITIES
Check out these word search activities!
FLIP FOR GYMNASTICS!
Y Kids are having fun learning gymnastics tricks and practicing skills with coaches from our branches through our new YMCA of San Diego Gymnastics Facebook group. You can get in on the fun, too! Note: A Facebook account is required to participate in this private group.
JOKE AND TRIVIA ANSWERS:
- There are roughly 6,500 languages spoken around the world
- There are only three countries in the world that don’t use the metric system
- People visit France more than any other country in the world
- Los Angeles, CA
- It's Dublin
- A stamp
Miss an Issue?
Check out every issue of Kids News!