Week of July 13, 2020
Y KIDS NEWS
When school's out, the Y is in! We hope you enjoy this edition of Y Kids News, a newsletter with games and activities you can do from home!
THIS WEEK'S THEME:
DOG DAYS OF SUMMER
The dog days of summer are upon us! This week we will explore the world of our favorite furry domestic friends - dogs and cats!
CAT IN THE HAT WORKOUT
This quick, three-minute Cat In The Hat workout will get you up and moving! First, watch this youtube video where the routine is broken down step-by-step. Next, watch the full routine here and follow along!
Grab your pack and go outside for some activity! For families with dogs, bring your dog along for a walk!
CAT AND DOG ORIGAMI
Create your own dog or cat origami!
Materials: Square piece of paper and a marker
- Using the image, follow the folding steps to create your own origami!
- Use your marker to draw on the face when done.
Note: Click on the image to expand.
KITTY CAT RICE CAKES
- Two rice cakes
- 1 tbsp. smooth peanut/almond butter
- ¼ carrot, thinly sliced then trimmed into triangles (ears)
- ½ banana sliced (cheeks)
- Coconut thread (whiskers)
- Six raisins (eyes and nose)
- Take all your ingredients and mix them in a large mixing bowl.
- Ensure that everything is evenly mixed.
- You may use a spatula/wooden spoon/gloved or clean hand to mix it all.
- Once it is all mixed you can put in small baggies to space out your snacks.
- How many hours do cats typically sleep per day? Dogs?
- When do dogs typically wag their tails? When do cats typically wag their tails?
- How many sounds can a cat make? How about a dog?
See answers below.
- What do baby cats wear?
- What’s a dog's favorite kind of pizza?
- Why do you have to be careful when it rains cats and dogs?
- What do you call a dog with a fever?
- Where did the school kittens go for the field trip?
See answers below.
FUN ACTIVITIES AT HOME
WORD SQUARE WITH SYDNEY
Sydney from Ryan Family YMCA will lead us in a word word square activity. See if you can find all ten words! Listen and take good notes! You could be featured on our social media channels when you share your picture or video!
MORE FURRY FUN
Learn more about our furry friends through these educational youtube videos.
FAMILY WORD WORKOUTS
Our Y families are staying active and having fun with Family Word Workouts. Each letter of the alphabet represents a different exercise! This week, we're challenging you to a safari-themed workout every day:
- Monday: COLLAR
- Tuesday: LEASH
- Wednesday: TAIL
- Thursday: PUPPY
- Friday: KITTEN
Also, check our social channels (@YMCASANDIEGO) throughout the week for more get-you-moving words. Download your alphabet workout sheet.
FLIP FOR GYMNASTICS!
Y Kids are having fun learning gymnastics tricks and practicing skills with coaches from our branches through our new YMCA of San Diego Gymnastics Facebook group. You can get in on the fun, too! Note: A Facebook account is required to participate in this private group.
JOKE AND TRIVIA ANSWERS
- A. Dia-purrs
- B. Pupperoni pizza
- C. You might step in a poodle
- D. A hot dog
- E. The meowseum
- A. Daily Sleep: Dogs like about 12-14 hours while cats usually need 12-16 hours per day.
- B. Wagging Tails: Dogs do it when they are happy, but cats do it when they are angry.
- C. Vocalizations: Dogs can make about 10 different sounds and cats have as many as 100.
Miss an Issue?
Check out every issue of Kids News!