Week of April 6, 2020
WELCOME TO Y KIDS NEWS!
When school’s out, the Y is in! Enjoy this newsletter with games and activities you can do from home!
OUR THEME: IT'S A JUNGLE OUT THERE!
This week our activities will be jungle animal themed! Check out our healthy living games, recipes, trivia, jokes, and more!
HEALTHY LIVING CHALLENGE
Determine what jungle animal you are by seeing how many hops you can do in a minute.
- Set a timer for 1 minute.
- Stand in one place but make sure you have space to jump up and down.
- Start the timer and start jumping. Don’t forget to count your jumps!
Which Jungle Animal Are You?
- 10 hops = poison dart frog
- 20 hops = flying squirrel
- 30 hops = chimpanzee
- 40 hops or more = jaguar
BE THE ENTERTAINER
Joke of the Week:
Q. Why is it hard to play cards in the jungle?
A. There are too many cheetahs!
- What food makes up 98% of a giant panda's diet?
- Bees are found on every continent except for one, which is it?
- What are baby goats called?
- Is a shark a mammal or a fish?
- What are female elephants called?
See answers below
ANIMAL FACE PIZZA
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Thin and Crispy Pizza Crusts
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Pepperoni, bell peppers, olives, spinach, and any other favorite toppings
- Italian seasoning
- Circle cookie cutter
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Using a circle cookie cutter, cut pizza crusts into smaller circles (mini pizzas).
- Place pizza crusts on baking dish and brush each circle with olive oil.
- Add a tablespoon of pizza sauce to each circle. Top with shredded mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle Italian seasoning over each pizza.
- Using your pizza toppings create animal faces on the mini pizzas, get creative or copy the picture!
- Bake for 5 minutes or until your cheese has melted.
MAKE YOUR OWN BINOCULARS
Create your own pair of binoculars to view the animals!
- 2 toilet paper rolls
- Construction paper
- Scotch tape
- Stickers, crayons, etc.
- Cut a piece of construction paper so that it will wrap completely around one of the toilet paper rolls. Tape the construction pa-per in place and then repeat this process with the other roll.
- Roll a piece of scotch tape into a donut and stick the two toilet paper rolls together.
- Cut a piece of construction paper that is long enough to wrap around the two toilet paper rolls. This piece is what will actually hold them together. Tightly wrap the piece of construction paper around rolls and tape the ends together. Add a few more tape donuts underneath this piece to have it stick even better.
- Use stickers or crayons to decorate the binoculars.
- Did you know– Venus Fly traps are carnivorous plants? They eat meat! Check out this video to learn more.
- Check out this Animal Crossword.
- Want to learn what different groups of animals are called? Try this Animal Word Search.
Get up, get moving and take this #YMCAChallenge! We want to see you and your family dancing to “Y.M.C.A.” by the Village People! If your video wins, you'll get a YMCA gym bag, a water bottle, workout towel and more! Let’s keep spirits lifted, stay healthy and have FUN during the quarantine!
- Check out the song and dance here.
- Tag us @YMCASANDIEGO, and use the hashtag #YMCAChallenge. Make sure your post is public.
- The winner will be announced across our social media channels on Friday, April 10.
FAMILY WORD WORKOUTS
Check our social channels (@YMCASANDIEGO) for the Family Word Workout. Each letter of the alphabet represents a different exercise! Look for new, get-you-moving words throughout the week. Download your alphabet workout sheet.
Trivia answers: 1. Bamboo 2. Antarctica 3. Kids 4. Fish 5. Cows
Miss an Issue?
Check out every issue of Kids News!