For updates on the status of YMCA Overnight Camps programs please visit the COVID-19 FAQ page.
We are excited to invite you to the beach for a summer of adventure at YMCA Camp Surf. Camp Surf's day camp is a caring environment that focuses on building friendships and confidence. Participating campers are led by trained staff dedicated to nurturing confidence and social skills through fun activities including archery, surfing, body boarding, crafts, climbing tower, games, and more! No need to pack a lunch, nutritious & delicious lunches are provided daily in our beautiful ocean-front dining hall.
At the YMCA of San Diego County, we believe all kids deserve the chance to experience the life-changing power of camp. Since 1882, our camps have inspired kids with countless opportunities to laugh, lead and make lasting friendships.
YMCA Camp Surf offers a unique oceanfront environment where youth are introduced to outdoor experiences, they can nurture their passions, and explore new interests.
WHAT’S THE SAME
- Wide variety of activities for your child to explore
- Outdoor play at the beach
- Opportunity to make friends
- Peace of mind for working parents
Important: All campers who had registered for 2020 Summer Day Camp before June 12 must re-register.
Learn more about the procedure for previous registrants.
For the best experience, create or sign into your My Y Profile first. Also, please note that an active membership is required at the time of the program start date to receive the member pricing discount.
Need Help or Have Questions?
Our top priority is the health and safety of our campers, their families, our staff and the community. We are working closely with local health officials, the American Camp Association and the CDC to ensure all recommended safety measures are met.
While the COVID-19 virus is challenging us to make camp look different this year, you’ll find the same high-quality camp experience you’ve come to expect from the Y.
Our day camp operations will meet or exceed the required standards set forth by local and national experts to ensure a safe experience, including:
- Campers should bring water in a refillable water bottle.
- Parents should apply sunscreen before campers arrive at camp in the morning, as staff will no longer be able to apply sunscreen to campers upon request. Campers will need to re-apply their own sunscreen.
- Daily temperature checks are mandatory for all campers and staff before check-in. Any camper with a temperature exceeding 100°F will not be allowed to attend camp that day.
- Low staff-to-camper ratios
- Camp groups will retain the same assigned staff all week.
- Frequent handwashing and enhanced sanitation practices.
- Staff will sanitize supplies and facilities throughout the day.
- Camp activities will follow social distancing guidelines.
- Camp groups will have limited to no interaction with other groups, following social distancing guidelines.
- Campers will participate in on-site activities only.
- Suspended activities include field trips; large group activities; family events including end-of-camp performances/beach carnival.
- Staff has been provided with personal protective equipment (PPE), including masks and gloves.
- Staff has been trained in new COVID-19 procedures and safety protocols.
- Download the full Modified Camp Procedures Guide
- All registrations must be made online at ymcasd.org.
- Full payment is due at time of registration. Campers registered for multiple sessions pay for the first session in full and pay a $75 non-refundable deposit for each additional session at time of registration.
- Your child will be dropped from the roster, and your deposit will be forfeited, if remaining balance is not paid 7 days before session start date. Camp fees, less $75 deposit, are refundable if session is cancelled at least 7 days before start date. Please note that transfer of session within 14 days of start date incurs loss of the $75 deposit.
- Camp fees are non-transferrable between campers and can only be used by the registered child. In cases of homesickness or dismissal from camp no refund will be issued.
- Due to health and safety protocols, we can only offer day camp to a limited number of campers. Registration is based on a first-come, first-served basis. We encourage anyone interested in summer camp to register as soon as possible.
HOURS - Group A:
- Camp Hours: 8:00am - 4:30pm
- Drop-off Hours: 8:00 - 8:30am
- Pick-up Hours: 4:00 - 4:30pm
HOURS - Group B & TEEN Camps:
- Camp Hours: 8:30am - 5:00pm
- Drop-off Hours: 8:30 - 9:00am
- Pick-up Hours: 4:30pm - 5:00pm
For children entering Grades 2 through 8 in the fall of this year:
- Y Member: $300
- Participant: $350
- Scholarships Available
|Session 4: July 6 - 10, 2020||Session 7: July 27 - 31, 2020 Waitlist|
|Session 5: July 13 - 17, 2020||Session 8: August 3 - 7, 2020 Waitlist|
|Session 6: July 20 - 24, 2020 Waitlist||Session 9: August 10 - 14, 2020|
Campers entering Grades 9 through 11 in the fall of this year. Due to high demand we have added Teen Camp sessions to run the entire summer!
All Teen Programs will be in the "Group B" timeframe which runs from 8:30am - 5pm.
- Y Member: $300
- Participant: $350
- Scholarships Available
|Session 4: July 6 - 10, 2020||Session 7: July 27 - 31, 2020|
|Session 5: July 13 - 17, 2020||Session 8: August 3 - 7, 2020|
|Session 6: July 20 - 24, 2020|
SIGN-IN / SIGN OUT
Authorized parent(s)/guardian(s) must accompany their camper through the mandatory sign-in process, which includes a temperature check and an intake screening. Any camper with a temperature exceeding 100°F degrees will not be allowed to attend camp that day.
Authorized parent(s)/guardian(s) must also wear a face mask that covers their nose and mouth, and use their own pen for the legal signature required at drop-off and pick-up. A government-issued photo ID is also required at pick-up.
IMPORTANT FORMS REQUIRED PRIOR TO CAMP
As part of our new safety procedures, all campers must complete a new waiver and medical form online PRIOR to attending camp at the Y. We have made this easy for you to update at home. Here's how:
- Log into your My Y Account
- If you’re not sure what your account password is or you haven’t logged in before, recover your password with the email you provided us (at ymcasd.org/recover)
- Find the Legal & Medical tab.
- Locate the camper in your family and click on Update for the Waiver and fill out the requested information.
- If your camper's medical form needs to be completed or revised click on Update for the Medical form.
- Please check the photo waiver.
- Fill out the medical form as completely as possible.
- If indicated during the process, download and fill out one of these supplementary forms:
- Permission to Administer Medication
- Physician's Care Form
- That's it! Repeat for any other family members in camp.
You can find Spanish versions and individual forms in the medical section of our form library.
The Camp Store, also known as the “Sugar Shack”, has always been a camp tradition! It is a great lesson in making choices and using basic math. This Summer, the store process will look a little different, but our campers will still have the opportunity to enjoy a snack and drink every day and souvenirs are still an option during their week at camp. During the online registration process you'll be able to select the items you'd like to add-on to your child's registration. Care packages will replace store account funds in order to avoid cash handling and refunds at the end of the week.
During the online registration process you'll be able to "Build-Your-Own Care Package" by choosing any combination of the following options:
$12 - Snacks - Campers choose 1 drink and 1 snack each day they are at camp.
$15 - T Shirt - Campers select from a variety of Camp Surf T-shirts. T shirts will be offered based on each groups scheduled souvenir day.
$15 - Souvenirs - Campers choose from our wide selection of Camp Surf souvenirs. Souvenirs will be offered based on each groups scheduled souvenir day.
LATE PICK-UP POLICY
Children not picked up at the end of the camp day will be supervised by our staff.
A fee of $1 per minute will be charged when camp closes. For example: If a full day of camp ends at 4:30 pm, and if a child is picked up at 4:56 pm, there will be a charge of $26. Every attempt will be made to contact parents or a listed authorized pick-up.
If by 6:00pm all contacts are not reachable, and the child has not been picked up, Child Protective Services will be contacted. A late fee will be assessed starting at 4:30pm or 5:30pm depending on your registered groups scheduled pick-up time.
The following information is critical for campers who registered before June 12 for a 2020 summer (or spring) day camp at YMCA Camp Surf:
- All campers must re-register for a 2020 summer day camp.
- Even if it appears the same camp you signed up for is still running, you must register again. This is due to necessary adjustments to camp locations, pricing and activities. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
- Priority registration from June 16 through June 19 is available for previously registered campers, ahead of the general public.
- All campers have been issued vouchers for the 2020 summer/spring day camps that they had previously registered for.
- These vouchers are worth the full amount the camper had already paid for and are attached to the campers’ account.
- Vouchers can be applied to new day camp registrations during checkout.
- Vouchers are tied to the same account you registered with, and are applied to new programs during the checkout process.
- You can also choose to apply the voucher to another Y program, convert the voucher into a refund, or donate all or part of it to help support the YMCA’s efforts in supporting our community.
- If you register for a camp and do not see the voucher application option appear during the checkout process, don't worry — simply register for the camp to save your space, then call 619-423-5850 sometime from Monday-Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm. Our office team can help sort out any issues you're having.
With so many unknowns surrounding COVID-19 and its effects on camp operations this summer we created a FAQ page to answer your most commonly asked questions. This page will be updated frequently as the situation evolves. Now more than ever, our campers will need the meaningful social connections that camp provides. Stick with us as we work to ensure a safe, healthy, and fun camp experience.
Fall Day Camp 2020
*Canceled to due to COVID-19
Fall day camp at Camp Surf is available for children currently in Grades 1 through 6.
- Cost: $xxx for Participants
- $xxx for YMCA Members
- Scholarships Available
- Hours: 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- Session 1:
September 21-25, 2020Canceled for 2020
- Session 2:
September 28-October 2, 2020Canceled for 2020
Download: Parent Guide and Required Forms
Camp Surf - Payment / Refund Policy
Full payment is due at time of registration. Campers registered for multiple sessions pay for the first session in full and pay a $75 non-refundable deposit for each additional session at time of registration. Your child will be dropped from the roster, and your deposit will be forfeited, if remaining balance is not paid 7 days before session start date. Camp fees, less $75 deposit, are refundable if session is cancelled at least 7 days before start date. Please note that transfer of session within 14 days of start date incurs loss of the $75 deposit. Camp fees are non-transferrable between campers and can only be used by the registered child. In cases of homesickness or dismissal from camp no refund will be issued.