New For You At Dan McKinney Family YMCA
HELP US ENSURE ACCESS FOR ALL
As a leading nonprofit, our Y is making a difference in the lives of 17,071 community members annually through our programs and services. Thanks to generous donations to our annual fundraising campaign, we are opening doors and changing lives. When you invest in the Y, your dollars will directly benefit kids and families in our local communities and provide scholarships to fulfill our mission to serve all people regardless of their ability to pay. The need is urgent and growing...and it can’t be met without you! Please give to Dan McKinney Family YMCA. The more we raise, the more people we can help.
OUR GOAL: $365,000
Check here for news about special happenings and updates that may affect your visit to the Y! Scroll down to see more specific information for different programming areas.
2024 DAY CAMP
Secure your spot in our popular day camps! Make sure your My Y account is set up and register for our most popular camps today.
SPRING BREAK 2024
- April 1–5, 2024
- Summer 2024 camp registration opens March 4 for members and March 6 for nonmembers.
GYMNASTICS CENTER AND SPORTS GYMNASIUM UPDATES
We are thrilled to share that repairs and improvements to our gymnastics center are completed! Our previous gymnastics center is being renovated into a sports gymnasium. The sports gymnasium will feature a new wood floor surface and a court designed for basketball, volleyball, pickleball and futsal. We anticipate completion of this project to be early 2024. As a reminder, members have full access to other YMCAs across San Diego County, the closest with sports gymnasiums being Ryan Family YMCA and Mission Valley YMCA.
Learn more about impacted facilities and keep up to date on timelines here.
Y Community Plus members with family memberships have unlimited access to Child Watch services at 12 YMCA branch locations across San Diego County. With easy reservations through the YMCA app, you can focus on your fitness or unwind at the Y while your children play under the supervision of highly trained YMCA staff. Not yet a Y Community Plus member? Current Y members can upgrade to the Y Community Plus membership plan by stopping by any location. If you currently have Child Watch services as an add-on to your family membership, you may continue to use Child Watch services on a drop-in basis. Learn more here.
- Child Watch hours: Mondays - Sundays, 8:30am – 1:00pm | Mondays - Thursdays, 3:00pm – 6:00pm | Fridays, 8:30am – 1:00pm.
Join our team and make a difference! We are now hiring for assistant lifeguards, lifeguards and swim instructors for ages 16 and up! Not certified? We will pay for your training! Interested? Fill out this interest form today!
Find out more about our aquatics facility at Dan McKinney Family YMCA and other pools around the county by visiting our aquatics facilities section page.
- Intermittent spa closure: In order to prioritize member safety, the spa at Dan McKinney Family YMCA will continue to have intermittent closures throughout the baseball season. Please see below for days/times of closures. Thank you for your understanding.
- Saturdays: 8:00am–6:00pm
- Sundays: 10:00am–5:00pm
- Mon-Fri: 4:45pm–6:00pm
HEALTH AND WELL-BEING
We're here to help you find what moves you at the Y!
MASSAGE ON THE GO
After a hard workout, enjoy a free, thirty-minute relaxing massage with our new equipment rental! Ask a Wellness Coach for more information. ID is required to check out massage equipment.
Are you ready to take charge of your well-being and achieve your health and fitness goals? Join our exclusive 6-week nutrition class where you'll learn the art of crafting personalized nutrition plans that cater to your unique needs. In this course, our seasoned nutrition doctor, Stefanie Basso, PhD (NCSF Sport Nutrition Specialist, NSCA Certified Trainer, MS Sport Psychology and BA Exercise Science) will guide you on a journey to understand the vital role nutrition plays in your overall health and fitness. You'll gain the knowledge and skills to make informed dietary choices anywhere, tailor your nutrition to match your specific fitness goals and experience lasting, positive changes. Don't miss this opportunity to take control of your health through the power of nutrition. Secure your spot today and start your path to a healthier, happier you! Register today!
What's on the menu?
- Expert Guidance: Learn from a trusted nutrition doctor who has years of experience in the field.
- Personalized Plans: Discover how to create nutrition strategies that align with your unique goals, whether it's weight management, increased energy, or improved overall health.
- Tasty Recipes: Get hands-on with a selection of delicious and nutritious recipes that will satisfy your taste buds and support your journey.
- When: Starting Thursday, March 14, 2024 | 9:00–10:00am
- Location: Teaching Kitchen at Dan McKinney Family YMCA
- Cost: $120/participant (up to 25% off with select Y memberships)
HEALTH COACHING AT THE Y
A health coach can help you be accountable, get perspective on your strengths and identify areas for opportunity. They empower you to create or further develop your vision for healthy living. Check out our health coaching page for more information!
Your health is more than just what you eat or how often you exercise. Experience a new whole well-being approach is that is individualized, sustainable and transformational. Sessions are conducted in-person or virtually and have been designed to:
- Produce meaningful and long-term behavior change
- Identify motivators and resources for achieving your highest potential
- Uncover your success that lies within you through guided support
- Create and implement a plan for achieving your goals
- Develop lasting and restorative self-care practices
Personal Health Coaching Fee: $70/members | $90/participants.
Group Coaching Fee: $202/members | $269/participants
For more information or to register, visit our front desk or contact Jeremy Sobotka at [email protected].
MARCH COOKING CLASSES
Classes continue the second and third Wednesdays of the month.
- March 13 | 11:30am — Cooking with Cappie
- March 20 | 11:30am — Cooking with Maggie
Fee: $25 (Members can save up to 25% off) | Register today!
BLOOD PRESSURE SELF-MONITORING PROGRAM
BEGINNING JANUARY 1, 2024 | 14 WEEK PROGRAM
One in three American adults has high blood pressure, which puts them at risk for stroke and heart disease, two of the leading causes of death in the United States. In response to this critical health issue, YMCA’s Blood Pressure Self-Monitoring program offers personalized support while participants develop the habit of monitoring their blood pressure. Research shows that the process of recording blood pressure at least twice a month over a period of four months can lower blood pressure in many people with high blood pressure. Free to participate. Learn more about the program.
- Measure and record their blood pressure at least two times per month.
- Attend two personalized consultations per month.
- Attend monthly nutrition education seminars.
- Participants must be at least 18 years old.
- Be diagnosed with high blood pressure.
- Not have experienced a recent cardiac event.
- Not have atrial fibrillation or other arrhythmias.
- Not be at risk for lymphedema.
For more information or to register, visit our front desk or contact Jeremy Sobotka at [email protected].
The YMCA offers financial aid through our ACCESS Scholarship to help individuals connect to the programs that are important.
60 DAY BODYPUMP CHALLENGE
Looking for a holistic and rewarding experience? Look no further! Our 60 Day BodyPump Challenge includes two complimentary InBody scans, conducted both before and after the transformation journey, providing valuable insights into your progress. To stay committed, individuals will receive a class punch card and are required to attend a minimum of three Les Mills classes per week, choosing from BodyPump, BodyAttack, or BodyCombat. Additionally, participants will have the option to attend a nutrition class and a BodyPump instructional workshop.
The transformation is not only about shedding pounds but also building muscle, with points awarded for muscle gained and body fat lost. Points will be deducted for any muscle loss. The top three participants with the most significant transformation can win exciting prizes such as:
- First Place: Five personal training sessions (55-minutes each).
- Second Place: Three personal training sessions (55-minutes each).
- Third Place: One personal training sessions (55-minutes each).
FEE: $99 — Register online or in-branch at our Welcome Center.
DATES: January–April 6, 2024.
Questions? Contact Health & Wellness Director, Jeremy Sobotka at [email protected]
60 DAY INBODY CHALLENGE
Embark on a transformative journey with our 60-Day InBody Challenge starting this January! Experience the power of precision as InBody, equipped with state-of-the-art patented technology that unveils a comprehensive reading of your body composition. In just 60 days, witness the remarkable changes as you receive another InBody assessment, focusing not on the scale but on the essential elements: muscle, fat and water content.Discover the ease of tracking progress with quick insights in under a minute, showcasing the direct impact of your diet and exercise on your well-being. Your personalized full-page results sheet becomes a roadmap, guiding you towards your fitness goals. Join the InBody Challenge and elevate your fitness journey to new heights!
- InBody Challenge Fee: $25
For more information or to register, visit our front desk or contact Jeremy Sobotka at [email protected].
Monthly memory screening will be held the first Thursday of each month. Flyers with a registration QR code will be posted around the branch 4 weeks prior to the event.
LIVESTRONG at the YMCA engages cancer survivors through an approach that focuses on the whole person — mind and body. Through this program participants work with trained Y staff to improve cardiovascular endurance and functional ability, build muscle mass and strength, and increase flexibility. In addition to physical benefits, the program also focuses on the mental and emotional well-being of survivors and their families. This creates a supportive community environment where people affected by cancer can connect during treatment and beyond. Get more information online here.
GROUP FITNESS CLASSES
Be sure to check our group fitness class schedule for new classes and updates. Remember, members have unlimited access to classes!
The following 5 classes will have reservation options:
- Mondays | 12:00pm – BodyPump
- Tuesdays | 5:30pm – BodyPump
- Wednesdays | 9:30am – HIIT
- Wednesdays | 12:00pm – BodyPump
- Thursdays| 5:45pm – BodyCombat
- Fridays | 12:00am – BodyPump
- Fridays | 5:30pm – BodyPump
- Saturdays | 9:45am – Strength
- Saturdays | 11:00am – BodyPump
- Sundays | 8:45am – BodyCombat
Updated Jan. 8, 2024
HEALTH AND WELLNESS ORIENTATION
Meet with a wellness coach to get acquainted with equipment and classes, ask questions and chart a path to reach your goals. Schedule your 30-minute orientation at the Welcome Center! Learn more.
For any questions or concerns regarding Health and Wellness, please contact Jeremy Sobotka at [email protected].
Reiki therapy sessions with Lanie Chapman, certified Reiki master with more than 30 years of experience. Reiki is an ancient, safe, natural and proven healing technique for stress reduction and relaxation, mental clarity, reduction of pain, improved sleep, increase of confidence and self-esteem.
To schedule a reiki session, please visit the front desk or give us a call.
For more information or questions, please contact Jeremy Sobotka at [email protected].
Working with a personal trainer can help you reach your goals and maximize your fitness potential! Improve your training with our class packages. Learn more about personal training here.
InBody body-composition assessments are available by appointment. Get a detailed breakdown of your lean tissue, water and fat mass in just 45 seconds. Now you can leave the guessing behind and know exactly what is inside your body! Free with a purchase of a PT package or $20 for members, $30 for non-members. See a coach or trainer to get signed up or contact Jeremy Sobotka, [email protected].
YOGA: PRIVATE LESSONS
Deepen your yoga practice with private yoga lessons. Be heard, be seen, transform and rise to your full potential! Contact Jeremy Sobotka at [email protected] for more information or schedule your private lesson.
- Private lessons - Private lesson sessions with Eric are now available every day of the week to help you improve your game! Register online or at the front desk, then email Jeremy at [email protected] to schedule your appointment time. - Register now!
- 3-Week Clinics | Begins Jan. 11
- Intermediate Clinic: 11:00am – 12:00pm
- Beginner Clinic: 12:00pm – 1:00pm
- Pickleball club - Come and play pickleball on Fridays, 9:00am - 10:30am, on the outdoor courts. Check in at the Welcome Center prior to play — we have limited spots, and play is first come, first served. Members may check out equipment at the Welcome Center, and are responsible for setting it up and taking it down. Learn more about pickleball here.
- Private lessons now available with Eric! Register online or at the front desk, then email Health & Wellness Director Jeremy Sobotka at [email protected] to schedule your appointment.
FAMILY & KIDS
Family-time is special at the Y. Spending time together or discover new activities for your child to explore.
Thursdays | 4:00-6:00pm | Ages 13+ — Join us for Art Club every Thursday beginning August 3! For more information, please visit our Welcome Center.
Jump into fun with gymnastics! Toddlers and teens can grow strong, get confident and find balance in a safe, fun and encouraging environment. Learn more.
Sign up for group or private swim lessons! Register today.
- Our La Jolla Lightning swim team is practicing regularly! If your child would like to get involved, swimmers should be proficient in 100 yards freestyle with rotary breathing, 100-200 IM based on ability, 25-50 yards butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke and freestyle. Learn more about swim teams at the Y.
SWIM-A-THONS: ANNUAL CAMPAIGN EVENTS
- Splash 4 Cash: Tuesday, March 5 and Wednesday, March 6 during practice. By swimming lengths of the pool you will help us in raising money to raise money for our annual campaign. Get pledges from businesses, family, neighbors and friends prior to swimming.. All fundraising goes to providing scholarships for YMCA programs like swim lessons and swim team. - Reserve your spot today!
- Thunder Vs. Lightning Swim Meet: On March 16, 9:00 - 11:00am, watch or compete in this fun and unique swim meet, filled with activities not typical to your average swim meet, such as parent versus child relays, watermelon relays and more! This event is for Y members and family, swim team and Master swimmers. Event is free to register but donations towards Annual Campaign are encouraged for participation. All donations go towards providing scholarships for YMCA programs like swim team and swim lessons. - Register today!
PARENT AND CHILD PROGRAMS
Join in as we expand our parent and child enrichment classes for parents and kids! We will have new art and music classes and rookie sports for those ages 2 to 5 years!
Come out and play! Sports are back at Dan McKinney Family YMCA when our gymnasium opens at the end of March! Join our 6-Week youth basketball league, beginning with skill assessments on Saturday, March 30. Season lasts April 8 - May 13. Games will take place on Saturdays with practices during the week. Specific game times will be determined after teams are formed.
Practice times for teams:
- Ages 6-7 | Practices on Tuesday, 5:30pm
- Ages 8-9 | Practices on Thursday, 4:30pm
- Ages 10-12 | Practices on Thursday, 5:30pm
SPLASH PAD BIRTHDAYS
The splash pad is now available for birthday parties! Contact our aquatics department to reserve your two-hour party time on Saturdays or Sundays!
Learn about preschool at Dan McKinney Family YMCA.
Adventure Clubs at the YMCA nurture the relationships between parents and children through camping and other outdoor activities. Enjoy weekend campouts (tent and cabin camping) from the desert to the mountains and beaches. Parents and their children can look forward to making new friends and participating in activities such as hiking, biking, fishing, kayaking, crafts, campfire skits and more! Learn more.
This program provides a safe environment where children will engage in imaginative play and activities that stretch both mind and body, including physical education, creative arts, science, cooking, swimming and more! Learn more.
Join us for our newly expanding parent and child enrichment classes!
- Music & Art — Tuesdays | 10:00 - 11:00am
- Rookie Sports — Saturdays | 10:00am - 11:00am
Y’s Active Adults (55+)
- Crocheting and Knitting Club — Tuesdays | 10:00am - 1:00pm | CR1: Knit, crochet, and socialize with other members! Work on projects together and share ideas. Bring your own supplies; the YMCA can also assist in providing knitting supplies to get you started!
- Mahjong Monday — Mondays | 11:00am-1:00pm | CR2: Show off your competitive side and see if you can be the champion of Mahjong Monday! Free for members and welcome to all levels. Learn as you go or just observe if you are a mahjong newbie.
- Coffee Club — Mondays | 9:00-10:00am | Member Lounge: Coffee Club is our Y Active Adults focus group. Share your ideas, give feedback and help us select the clubs, trips and activities offered here at Dan McKinney Family YMCA.
- Walking Club — Wednesdays | 9:30am | Welcome Center: Enjoy a walk with fellow Y members as we explore our surrounding neighborhood. Bring your walking shoes!
- Book Club — Second Thursday | 12:30-2:00pm | CR1: Join us for a discussion about the book of the month at our book club group! Please visit our Welcome Center for information on our monthly reading.
- Pickleball Club — Fridays | 9:00 -10:30am | Outdoor Courts: Come enjoy a few games of pickleball with fellow members! Space is limited — participation is on a first-come, first-served basis. Free equipment check-out is available. Members are responsible for setup and takedown.
- Friday Movie Matinee — Fridays | 12:00pm | Member Lounge: Join us for a movie and freshly popped popcorn at our Friday Movie Matinee club!
*These events are free for members to attend. All clubs are subject to cancellation. Please check in at our Welcome Center.
Y Active Adult Activities Around the County
More to explore
View our Y Active Adults page to view programming and activities around the county.
ANNUAL CAMPAIGN EVENTS
More information coming soon!
FITNESS CHALLENGE BINGO
Join our fitness challenge Bingo! Complete exciting challenges on our Bingo grid for a chance to win! Fill out your card to enter the drawing for a free month of membership or 3 free personal training sessions. Multiple winners will be selected soon, so start your fitness journey today! Visit the Welcome Center to grab your card and get started. Good luck, and let the challenges begin!
LIVE WELL ON WHEELS
Join us as the Live Well on Wheels (Live WoW) bus will visit Dan McKinney Family YMCA on the second Wednesday of every month at 9:00am-2:00pm to provide members access to a variety of health and community services – on the go! The bus is fully equipped to offer a variety of resources including disaster response services, health screenings and will have representatives ready to assist members in living healthier lives.
Live WoW is free and open to people of all ages. No registration is required.
PARENTS NIGHT OUT
Get ready for a night out on the town! Kids, ages 3-12, are invited for a night of fun on Friday, March 1, 4:00 - 7:00pm at Shepherd YMCA Firehouse (get directions)! Children must be potty-trained. We will have crafts, movies and snacks! Limited spots available, so reserve your spot today! Pricing begins at $66 (Save up to 25% off with select Y memberships). Registration will close the day before the event, February 29. Register exclusively at the Welcome Center!
- Friday, April 5 | 4:00 - 7:00pm
For more information, contact Tina Dinh, Coordinator of Child Watch and Family Programs at [email protected] or call (858) 453-3483
- Craft Club — Tuesdays | 5:30-7:00pm | CR2: Share your crafting ideas, projects and work with others to learn new crafting techniques. Our Y has a Cricut machine and Cricut mug press that attendees are welcome to use!
- Sunset Walking Club — Wednesdays | 6:00pm | Welcome Center: Get your walking shoes ready! Join us for a walk to explore our surrounding neighborhood and enjoy a beautiful sunset. We encourage members to bring their strollers, too!
- Evening Book Club — Third Thursday | 5:30-7:00pm | CR2: Join us for a discussion about the book of the month at our book club group! Please visit our Welcome Center for information on our monthly reading.
*These events are free for members to attend. Registration is required. All clubs are subject to cancellation. Please check-in at our Welcome Center.
Did you know you could help save up to three lives by giving blood? The YMCA of San Diego County has partnered with the San Diego Blood Bank to host blood drives across the county this year. Help address a critical need for blood donations in our community! Make an appointment here or call (619) 400-8251.
Y in the COMMUNITY
CONNECTING YOU TO CARE
We've streamlined the child care search process with our enhanced referral system to help parents make the best decision for their families. Learn more!
HELP PAYING FOR CHILD CARE
Do you or someone you know need help paying for child care?
The San Diego County Centralized Eligibility List (CEL) is one application that connects you to different agencies across San Diego to help pay for child care for families who qualify. Child care has become the second-largest expense for families – spending up to 50% of their household budget a year. See if you qualify for this service today.
KEEP IN TOUCH
CONNECT ON SOCIAL
Visit our subscription center to opt in for text-message alerts to ensure you receive updates that may affect your visit to the Y.