Basketball - Coed League
Youth Recreational League
Learn to love basketball at the Y! We offer recreational basketball leagues year-round for ages 4 to 17. With a focus on safety, sportsmanship and teamwork, we provide an environment in which children can learn skills, have fun and be active. Most leagues run eight weeks, with games on Saturday and weekly practices.
At the Y, winning isn’t all about athleticism and scoring the most points. We encourage healthy competition and improving skills. Every child on the team has the opportunity to play, and we encourage them to set individual goals and cooperate with others.
Prior to forming teams, we conduct skills assessments that include fun drills and scrimmages. Our goal is to create teams that reflect a balance of age, height, skill level and gender, based on the staff’s assessment of each player. Parents may request specific practice days and times, coaches or teams. We will consider, but cannot guarantee, requests.
On or before 04/04/2020
Spring 2020 Season Important Dates:
Saturday, April 4: Mandatory Skills Assessments
- Ages 5-6 at 9:00am
- Ages 7-9 at 10:15am
- Ages 10-12 at 11:30am
- Ages 13+ at 12:30am
Saturday, April 18: First games
Saturday, June 13: Last games
- Our sports programs are all about fun and building positive relationships. We encourage parents to support players on the sidelines and as volunteer coaches, team parents or scorekeepers. Contact Annmarie Clifford, [email protected], to learn more about becoming a volunteer.
- Uniform/equipment: Wear closed-toe shoes, comfortable clothing. No jewelry or watches allowed. The Y will provide game jerseys. You may bring a ball marked with your child’s name, but it is not required.
- Your team will communicate through PLAYERSPACE, a web-based platform that provides convenient access to schedules, practice times and team information and notifications concerning schedule changes. Please ensure we have your email address on file.
- Please bring a water bottle.
- Food, drink (other than water) and chewing gum are not allowed inside the gymnasium.
Questions: Contact Annmarie Clifford, [email protected] or (619) 462-9622.
Scholarships: Thanks to the support of our generous donors and partners, financial assistance is available for sports programs. Learn more.