Flag Coed Rec. League
Learn to love flag football at the Y! We offer 5 on 5 (no contact) flag football leagues year-round for ages 4 to 17.
This recreational league is ideal for beginner to advanced skill levels. With a focus on safety, sportsmanship and teamwork, we provide an environment in which children can learn skills, have fun and be active. Most leagues run eight weeks, with games on Sunday and practices scheduled by the coach
At the Y, winning isn’t all about athleticism and scoring the most points. We encourage healthy competition and improving skills. Every child on the team has the opportunity to play, and we encourage them to set individual goals and cooperate with others.
Prior to forming teams, we conduct skills assessments that include fun drills and scrimmages. Our goal is to create teams that reflect a balance of age, height, skill level and gender, based on the staff’s assessment of each player. Parents may request specific practice days and times, coaches or teams. We will consider, but cannot guarantee, requests.
On or before 03/15/2020
Important Dates for the Winter 2020 Season:
Practices and games for this league are at Toby Wells YMCA, 5105 Overland Drive — map
- Thursday, January 9: Mandatory Skills Assessments
- Ages 4-6: 5:00 pm
- Ages 7-9: 5:30 pm
- Ages 10-12: 6:00 pm
- Ages 13+: 6:30 pm
- January 16: Make-up Assessments
- Ages 4-9: 5:00 pm
- Ages 10-13+: 6:00 pm
- Sunday, January 19: First Practice
- Sunday, January 26: First Game
- Practices are at Toby Wells YMCA on Sundays, one hour prior to the game.
- Our sports programs are all about fun and building positive relationships. We encourage parents to support players on the sidelines and as volunteer coaches, team parents or scorekeepers. Contact Susan Gould, [email protected], to learn more about becoming a volunteer.
- Uniform/equipment: Athletic shoes are required. Rubber cleats are permitted; no metal cleats. Mouth guards are optional, but highly recommended. The Y will provide game jerseys. Wear comfortable shorts, preferably without pockets.
- Your team and program director will communicate through PLAYERSPACE, a web-based platform that provides convenient access to schedules, practice times and team information and notifications concerning schedule changes. Please ensure we have your email address on file.
- Please bring a water bottle.
- Food, drink (other than water) and chewing gum are not allowed on the field.
Questions: Contact Susan Gould at [email protected] or (619) 298-3576.
Scholarships: Thanks to the support of our generous donors and partners, financial assistance is available for sports programs. Learn more.