School Age Stage 1
Stage 1 swim lessons for school age children at the YMCA focus on water acclimation, increasing student's comfort with underwater exploration and introducing basic self-rescue skills. Instructors focus on helping students explore getting comfortable with movement in the water, developing basic skills to propel and glide, and teaching basic aquatic safety. See Swim Lessons for an overview of our stages progression.
On or before 10/26/2022
Our instructors look forward to meeting you and your child! Here is some important information for group swim lessons:
- Swimmers should have their hair pulled back to ensure eyes are not obstructed.
- We recommend goggles, but they are not required.
- Children enrolled in stage A/B classes must wear a swim diaper.
- Children who are not potty-trained must wear a swim diaper.
- Swimmers should shower before entering the pool.
- If your child is nervous about getting in the water, a quick drop-off with the instructor while you remain out-of-sight for a short while may help the instructor to begin to build a relationship with your swimmer.
- Parents should remain seated on the pool deck on the opposite side of the pool from your child (unless in stage A/B classes).
- If you have any questions regarding the class or your child’s progress, please speak with your instructor after class.
- Please check in daily with an aquatic staff member to make sure your swimmer's attendance is recorded.
Our refund/voucher policy:
- Before first day of class: 100% refund/voucher.
- On the first day of class: 75% refund/voucher.
- On or after the second day of class: No refund/voucher.
- We do not give vouchers/refunds for missed classes.
- Classes will meet as scheduled during rain.
- If we have to close the pool during your lesson, instruction will focus on safety and will take place on the pool deck or inside the building. Upon request, a voucher will be added to your account.