We are committed to supporting transition-age youth (TAY) who face barriers to success in adulthood, including homelessness, abuse, and more, helping them lead healthy, successful lives. Entering adulthood is a critical developmental period that can be further complicated when a young person lacks a supportive network and faces a multitude of barriers. We offer innovative, effective programming in a safe and welcoming space.
The YMCA Outreach Program is on foot outreach services in prominent homeless communities in Oceanside, is the first access point of the Y’s continuum of services. Outreach workers provide homeless youth with immediate resources and referrals to get off the streets. Through diversion services, homeless youth are able to access safe housing options and/or familial reunification.
WHO WE SERVE
- Runaway, homeless, and street youth between the ages of 12-25
- Youth seeking safety in San Diego County
- Provide on-foot outreach and crisis assessment on the streets of North County San Diego.
- Offer snacks, hygiene kits, clothing and other necessities to youth on the streets.
- Work with the youth to offer transportation to shelter and other supportive services.
- Advocate and assist youth through the process of getting off the street and finding a safe place.
TAY Drive Through Services
TAY Drive Through provides services for youth and young adults. They can make a quick stop into our TAY Drop-In Centers and receive basic essentials such as food, water, sanitation kits, hygiene kits, and other resources and continue on their way.
TAY Drop-in Center – North County Inland
Drop-In Hours (limited capacity): Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 2:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Drive Through: Tuesday, Thursday 2:00 PM - 6:00 PM
TAY Drop-in Center – North County Coastal
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM
TAY Mobile Unit
TAY Mobile Unit is our on-the-go service, in which the convenience of delivery, helps brings support to our youth and young adults who are in need of the basic essentials and resources, right into their neighborhood. Our staff, plan weekly routes to ensure they are able to reach and provide extra support to our North County individuals.
Tuesday in Oceanside, Carlsbad, Encinitas: Location stops and time will vary
Thursday in Escondido, San Marcos, Vista: Location stops and time will vary
Emergency Housing Assistance
TAY Services’ Emergency Housing Assistance provides financial support and resources to help youth experiencing housing crisis, in which case management services are offered along with, housing navigation, assistance in rent/rental deposit, and other basic needs.
We provide safe, inclusive, youth-led drop-in resource centers in North County San Diego. TAY is dedicated to serving youth and young adults in a manner that is knowledgeable of, and sensitive to, the trauma occurring in their lives. The youth that utilize services come from diverse backgrounds and experiences. TAY Drop-in services address not only basic needs but also provides critical services that address higher-level needs such as clinical support, resource navigation, and housing support. There is a strong focus on employment, education needs, and linkages to safe housing opportunities.
WHO WE SERVE
Youth and young adults ages 14-25, and of all ethnicities, interest groups, sexual orientations, and cultural backgrounds.
- Access to one-on-one coaching to develop a life plan
- Access to a computer
- Leadership and youth development activities
- Linkage to community resources
- Skill development workshops, classes, and support groups
- Vocational training opportunities
For more information, please contact: Eirene Rocha | [email protected]
North Inland Center - TAY Academy
Monday to Friday: 2:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Closed Saturday & Sunday
North Coastal Center - TAY Academy
Monday: 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Wednesday: 11:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Friday: 11:00 AM - 4:30 PM
The TAY Housing Program provides short-term assistance in the form of hotel voucher assistance for victims of crime for North County residents, as well as Transitional housing for runaway and homeless youth, which will help decrease the number of youth sleeping in areas not meant for habitation such as the canyon, under bridges or in cars.
WHO WE SERVE
- Young adults ages 18-24 who are experiencing homelessness or facing the possibility of becoming homeless in the near future.
- Singles, couples, pregnant and parenting are eligible.
- On-site case management and support
- Education and employment assistance
- Development of independent living
- Relational wellness and counseling services
- Financial education and personal budgeting assistance
- After-care support
Orientations for TAY Housing are held on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of every month from 1 to 3pm at our Barnes Street location:
RSVPs are appreciated and support systems are encouraged to attend.