Week of July 27, 2020
Y KIDS NEWS
When school’s out, the Y is in! We hope you enjoy this edition of Y Kids News, a newsletter with games and activities you can do from home!
THIS WEEK'S THEME:
Let's explore the world of Disney this week. Together we will watch magic come to life through crafts, recipes and family activities. With this week's theme, you are sure to have an enchanted experience!
DISNEY MOVIE WORKOUT
This summer, we might be indoors more than normal. That doesn't mean we can't move around and have fun! This week we have a couple of fun movie workouts that will get you up and moving while indoors.
Little Mermaid Workout
- Do a wall sit during "Myserious Fathoms Below."
- Do 15 jumping jacks when Flounder acts like a guppy.
- Do 15 clamshells (each leg), every time Sebastian acts crabby.
- Plank when Prince Eric plays the flute.
- Do five burpees when you see a "Dinglehopper."
- Do 15 crunches every time Pegasus and Hercules head bump.
- Do five burpees if Hercules doesn't know his own strength and breaks something.
- Do 10 jumping jacks when Hades' hair turns from blue to red.
- Do 30 high knees if Phil turns bright red.
- Two cups frozen pineapple chunks
- One cup coconut milk (or dairy)
- ¼ cup sugar
- A dash of lemon or lime juice
- A pinch of salt
- Add frozen pineapple, coconut milk, granulated sugar, lemon juice or lime juice, and salt to a food processor.
- Blend until ultra creamy; about 3-5 minutes.
MICKEY MOUSE PAPER PLATE CRAFT
Items needed: three paper plates, paint brushes, black and red paint, white card stock or construction paper, hole punch, scissors, white glue
- Paint the bottom half of one paper plate red and let dry.
- Paint the top half of the same plate black and let dry.
- Cut out the inside circles of the other two paper plates.
- Paint the two smaller plate circles black and let dry.
- Glue the two smaller black circles onto the black top half of the plate, as pictured.
- Cut two 1 inch circles from your white card stock/construction paper and punch two holes next to each other on each one to look like buttons. You can also cut circles out of paper plates if you have extras and don’t want to get out the white paper.
- Glue the “buttons” onto the plate where the red and black paint meet.
- Let dry and enjoy!
Materials: white glue, paint, liquid starch, bowl
- Pour 4 oz (½ cup) of white glue into a bowl.
- Add a squirt of paint into the bowl and stir completely.
- Add in 2 oz (¼ cup) of liquid starch.
- Stir it with a spoon until it becomes too difficult to stir. It is going to be pretty stringy at this point.
- Take it out of the bowl and knead it with your hands until it is no longer stringy.
- What was Mickey Mouse's name originally?
- What year did Disneyland open?
- What were Mickey Mouse’s first words ever spoken?
See answers below
- What did Snow White say when her photos weren’t ready yet?
- Where can you find a little mermaid?
- What did Rapunzel say when she got out of the dark tunnel?
See answers below
DRAW YOUR FAMILY WITH TIM
Tim from Joe and Mary Mottino Family YMCA will lead us in a creative activity. Grab a paper and a writing utensil and let's draw our families! Remember, all families are different. Thank you for being a part of our Y Family! Listen and take good notes! You could be featured on our social media channels when you share your picture or video!
MORE DISNEY FUN
FAMILY WORD WORKOUTS
Our Y families are staying active and having fun with Family Word Workouts. Each letter of the alphabet represents a different exercise! This week, we're challenging you to a spaced-out workout every day:
- Monday: PRINCESS
- Tuesday: MAGIC
- Wednesday: CASTLE
- Thursday: PRINCE
- Friday: MICKEY
Download your alphabet workout sheet.Also, check our social channels (@YMCASANDIEGO) throughout the week for more get-you-moving words.
FLIP FOR GYMNASTICS!
Y Kids are having fun learning gymnastics tricks and practicing skills through our YMCA of San Diego Gymnastics Facebook group. You can get in on the fun, too! Note: A Facebook account is required to participate in this private group.
- Someday my prints will come.
- Under the sea!
- At last I see the light!
- Hot dog!
Miss an Issue?
Check out every issue of Kids News!