Week of June 22, 2020
Y KIDS NEWS
When school's out, the Y is in! We hope you enjoy this edition of Y Kids News, a newsletter with games and activities you can do from home!
THIS WEEK'S THEME:
GAMING & TECHNOLOGY
We're going high-tech this week! Get ready to build a marble maze, create a Super Smash Brothers lunch, test your tech knowledge facts and more.
GET IN SHAPE FOR GAMING
Challenge yourself this week to complete the exercise below. Make a game out of exercise, and try to beat your record next week! You'll need a timer for this one!
- How many Super Mario hops can you do in one minute?
- How many Donkey Kong jumping jacks can you do in one minute?
- How many Zombie Minecraft left foot hops can you do in one minute?
- How many Sonic right foot hops can you do in one minute?
BUILD YOUR OWN MAZE
- Cereal box or similar
- Colored paper or printed paper
- Glue (tacky glue/hot glue works best only if parent can assist)
- Cut (or have an adult help) the front panel out of your box.
- Tape the small back flap in place so that you have four even sides. You can cover all of the sides in tape for decoration.
- Cut a piece of paper to fit the bottom of the box and glue it in place.
- Now the fun part: Create your maze! Cut straws to different lengths and glue them to the bottom of the box. Make sure that the marble can fit through the spaces and make it all the way to the other end. Experiment before the glue dries.
- Let your creation dry and get ready to play!
PLAY WITH YOUR MAZE
- Place a marble at one end or corner of your box and tilt the box to guide the marble through the maze to the other side.
- Figure out many seconds it takes to get the marble to the other side, so you can challenge your friends and family.
- Find more fun activities on the Kids Activities Blog.
SUPER SMASH BROTHERS SNACK BOX
- Mario Hat: Red apple, white cheese, wax from a Babybel cheese for the M, and two toothpicks to hold the brim on the hat. Fruit, cheese, and crackers for the background.
- Pokemon Pokeball: Babybel cheese with half the cheese round removed, nori for the middle part, two circles of white cheese on top.
- Yoshi's Egg: Hardboiled egg, circles cut from fresh spinach, and yogurt covered raisins.
- Kirby: Two circles of whole wheat bread with nut-free spread in between, scraps of whole wheat bread for the arms, strawberry cream cheese, red food coloring for the cheeks, nori and cream cheese for the eyes and mouth, raspberries for the feet, blueberries for the background.
- Super Smash Bros. Sign: Tortilla with food coloring marker to make the letter.
Find more fun recipes at lunchboxdad.com.
Who is known as the inventor of the telephone?
- A. Charles Babbage
- B. Alexander Bain
- C. Alexander Graham Bell
- D. Steve Jobs
Technology has brought us several beloved video game characters. Which one is not a Nintendo game character?
- A. Mario
- B. Donkey Kong
- C. Princess Peach
- D. Sonic the Hedgehog
See answers below.
- Why couldn't the dinosaur play games on the computer?
- What did the iPhone say to the other iPhone?
- Why did the spider take a laptop to the beach?
See answers below.
- More than 3 billion people use the internet.
- The first computer mouse was wooden.
- More than 200 billion emails are sent every day.
FUN ACTIVITIES AT HOME WITH TABATHA
Tabatha from McGrath Family YMCA has a Paper Pickup Challenge for you! You'll need two paper plates, a straw and some paper.
Listen and take good notes! You could be featured on our social media channels when you share your picture or video!
MORE HIGH TECH FUN
- It's fun to launch stuff in the air! Build your own Popsicle Stick Catapult from the Little Bins for Little Hands website.
- Try this video game word search. (PDF).
- Visit the National Geographic Kids website for more games to play.
FAMILY WORD WORKOUTS
Our Y families are staying active and having fun with Family Word Workouts. Each letter of the alphabet represents a different exercise! This week, we're challenging you to a safari-themed workout every day:
- Monday: INTERNET
- Tuesday: PLAYER
- Wednesday: GAMING
- Thursday: COMPUTER
- Friday: TECHNOLOGY
Also, check our social channels (@YMCASANDIEGO) throughout the week for more get-you-moving words. Download your alphabet workout sheet.
FLIP FOR GYMNASTICS!
Y Kids are having fun learning gymnastics tricks and practicing skills with coaches from our branches through our new YMCA of San Diego Gymnastics Facebook group. You can get in on the fun, too! Note: A Facebook account is required to participate in this private group.
JOKE AND TRIVIA ANSWERS:
- C: Alexander Graham Bell first received a patent for his telephone invention in March 1876.
- D: Sonic the Hedgehog is a Sega game character.
- Because he ate the mouse.
- "It is nice to text you."
- So it could surf the web
Miss an Issue?
Check out every issue of Kids News!