Y KIDS NEWS
When school's out, the Y is in! We hope you enjoy this edition of Y Kids News, a newsletter with games and activities you can do from home!
THIS WEEK'S THEME:
YMCA of San Diego is all about growth — growth in community, growth within your family and growth within yourself! This week we are going learn about gardening!
Grab some dice and roll into fitness. Roll one die at random and follow the workout that follows.
- Squash Squats: Do squats for one minute
- Lean Carrot: Set a timer and see how long you can hold a plank
- Jumping Beans: Do side jumps for one minute
- Turnup Twist: Twist about and shake your hips for 45 seconds
- Watermelon Roll: Sit-ups for one minute
- Sprout Up: Challenge yourself on how many push-ups you can do in one minute
Spruce up your garden with some lady bugs!
Materials: Smooth surface rocks (any size), assorted paint colors, paint brush, water cup (to rinse out paint brush)
- Make sure your rock is smooth and does not have sharp edges
- Clean off your rock of any dirt or debris
- Choose a color as a base for your butterfly
- Decorate as desired
FRUIT PALM TREES
- ¼ fresh pineapple, cut into bite-size chunks
- One orange, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
- ½ red apple, cut into bite-size pieces
- Five seedless red grapes, halved
- Five seedless green grapes, halved
Two cups strawberry yogurt
Instructions: Stir pineapple, orange, apple, red grapes and green grapes together in a bowl. Pour yogurt over the top and stir to coat completely.
- Insects are very important to gardens. They carry pollen from one plant to another.
- Bees are helpful to a garden. They love flowers that close at night. This is the reason why bees are only buzzing around during the daytime. Bees are also attracted to the flowers that are bright in color and have a strong fragrance. Because bees help pollinate flowers and plants, they are responsible for the existence of many flowers. Without bees, over 100,000 plant species would cease to exist.
- Earthworms are very important to any garden. They work hard at keeping our soil clean by pulling down organic material and recycling it into fresh nutrient filled soil.
- Why do potatoes make good detectives?
- What is a worm’s favorite band?
- What did the flower say to the flower beside him?
- What is the best season to go on a trampoline?
See answers below.
MORE FAMILY FUN:
FAMILY WORD WORKOUTS
Our Y families are staying active and having fun with Family Word Workouts. Each letter of the alphabet represents a different exercise! This week, we're challenging you to a gardening-themed workout every day:
- Monday: FLOWER
- Tuesday: BUMBLE BEE
- Wednesday: PLANTS
- Thursday: SOIL
- Friday: WORMS
Also, check our social channels (@YMCASANDIEGO) throughout the week for more get-you-moving words. Download your alphabet workout sheet.
FLIP FOR GYMNASTICS!
Y Kids are having fun learning gymnastics tricks and practicing skills with coaches from our branches through our new YMCA of San Diego Gymnastics Facebook group. You can get in on the fun, too! Note: A Facebook account is required to participate in this private group.
- Because they keep their eyes peeled
- The Beatles
- Move over, bud
Miss an Issue?
Check out every issue of Kids News!