Week of July 6, 2020
Y KIDS NEWS
When school’s out, the Y is in! We hope you enjoy this edition of Y Kids News, a newsletter with games and activities you can do from home!
THIS WEEK'S THEME:
Nature is all around us and can teach us a lot. This week we will use nature to create art projects, learn about science and create our own birdfeeders. It's time to explore the beauty of our natural surroundings!
EARN YOUR GOLD MEDAL
GROW AS STRONG AND TALL AS A TREE
Trees need the sun to grow. Head outside for these exercises!
- 10 Root Jumping Jacks: You need to spread your roots out into the world!
- 10 Trunk Sit-Ups: Lay on your back and do a sit-up to make your core as strong as a tree trunk!
- 10 Planting Sprints: You will want to spread your tree's seeds! Run back and forth across your yard, touching the ground each time to plant your seeds.
HOPSCOTCH WITH KATE
Kate from Cameron Family YMCA will lead us in a game of classic hopscotch! activity! You will need a piece of chalk and a rock. Watch this video to learn the game, and submit your video for a chance to be featured on our social channels!
- Celery sticks
- Turkey/ham slices
- Peanut butter/nut butter/ranch for dipping
- You will be creating three flowers and grass.
- Cut the celery into 2-inch tall pieces for a total of six pieces.
- Lay the celery pieces on the bottom of your plate to look like grass.
- Cut a celery stick into three long, skinny pieces that you will use as the stems to your flowers.
- Place the three stems on top of the grass and angle them in different directions.
- On top of the first stem roll up a piece of turkey or ham, making your first flower.
- Cut up the peach into little slices and spread them out around another stem like a flower.
- Cut up a strawberry into six pieces and spread them around the last stem, completing the third flower.
- Use the peanut butter/nut butter/ranch for dipping.
- Enjoy your garden!
Create your own bird feeder and observe the birds that come to eat!
- Paper towel roll or toilet paper roll
- Peanut butter (or an alternative like sunflower butter if an allergy exists)
- Bird seed (alternatives: nuts, unbuttered popcorn, cheerios, dried fruit)
- String, ribbon or yarn
- Flat tray
- Using your hole punch, punch a hole on each end of the paper towel/toilet paper roll.
- Using the spatula, spread the peanut butter (or alternative) on the roll, covering the entire roll.
- Fill the tray with bird seed (or the alternative).
- Roll the toilet paper/paper towel roll in the bird seed.
- Once the roll is covered with bird seed, place your string/yarn/ribbon through the holes and tie at the top.
- Watch the birds enjoy!
BE THE ENTERTAINER
A. How can you tell the ocean is friendly?
B. What did the trees wear to the pool party?
See answers below
A. Is the Atlantic Ocean or the Pacific Ocean saltier?
B. One tree provides enough oxygen for how many humans to breathe for the rest of their lives?
C. How many thunderstorms happen around the world every day?
D. Where and what is the world’s tallest tree?
E. Where is most of the plant life found on Earth?
See answers below
MORE NATURE FUN
Color and learn more about nature’s beauty. Download nature coloring pages here.
Explore nature using live webcams!
FAMILY WORD WORKOUTS
Our Y families are staying active and having fun with Family Word Workouts. Each letter of the alphabet represents a different exercise! This week, we're challenging you to a nature themed every day:
- Monday: FLOWER
- Tuesday: NATURE
- Wednesday: SEASONS
- Thursday: WEATHER
- Friday: EXPLORE
Also, check our social channels (@YMCASANDIEGO) throughout the week for more get-you-moving words. Download your alphabet workout sheet.
FLIP FOR GYMNASTICS!
Y Kids are having fun learning gymnastics tricks and practicing skills with coaches from our branches through our new YMCA of San Diego Gymnastics Facebook group. You can get in on the fun, too! Note: A Facebook account is required to participate in this private group.
- Atlantic Ocean
- Two humans
- A redwood tree in California
- Almost 85% of the plant life is found in the ocean
- It waves
- Swimming trunks
Miss an Issue?
Check out every issue of Kids News!