Week of June 8, 2020
Y KIDS NEWS
When school's out, the Y is in! We hope you enjoy this edition of Y Kids News, a newsletter with games and activities you can do from home!
THIS WEEK'S THEME:
Put on your sunscreen and hat! Hop on this jeep and buckle up for a ride into this African safari. But first, did you know that the word safari is a Swahili word that means overland journey? It is a journey to view wildlife and birds in their natural habitats; in the wild!
ROARING LION, HIDDEN CHEETAH
Get your lungs activated and body moving.
- Chalk to draw hopscotch
- Positive attitude
- Hop from the beginning of the board to the other end making the loudest lion noises you can make.
- Crouch-hop the opposite direction (back) being the quietest cheetah you can be.
- Do it 10 times each way
SAFARI "HOME" LIFE
Follow safari rules in and around your house. This means “pack it in, pack it out!” Every time you use something such as a plate, bowl, utensil, it is your responsibility to clean it and put it back where you found it.
If you see something that is out of place, place it in the correct place. after all, there’s a place for everything and everything has a place.
SAFARI ANIMAL MASKS
- Paper plate
- Something you can color with
- Cut (or have an adult help) circles for eyes on your paper plate.
- Decide what animal you want your mask to be.
- Color and decorate your plate to become your animal mask.
- Punch holes on the sides of your mask.
- Thread string through the holes so you can wear your mask.
WHAT'S YOUR SAFARI STORY?
Create a story about going on a safari and what would happen on your journey. What animals would you see? Who would you be with? Let your creativity roll and come up with a fun story!
SAFARI TRAIL MIX
- 1 cup raisins
- ½ cup fruit snacks
- Meat or veggie patties
- 3 cups Cheerios toasted oat cereal
- ½ (225 g) package animal crackers
- ½(250 g) package chocolate animal crackers
- 2 cups pretzels
- ¼ cup banana decorative candies
- ½ cup nuts (almonds, cashews or walnuts)
- Important: Ensure you are not allergic to tree nuts.
- Take all your ingredients and mix them in a large mixing bowl.
- Ensure that everything is evenly mixed.
- You may use a spatula/wooden spoon/gloved or clean hand to mix it all.
- Once it is all mixed you can put in small baggies to space out your snacks.
- How fast can a cheetah run?
- What is the closest living animal to the hippo?
- On average how long do elephants live?
- How long is a giraffe's tongue?
- How fast can an ostrich run?
See answers below.
- What is as big as a hippopotamus but weighs nothing?
- Why don’t cats play cards while on a safari?
- Which days do lions eat the most?
See answers below.
- Giraffes usually sleep for about five minutes at a time, adding up to an average of 30 minutes per day.
- A lion’s roar can be heard up to five miles away! At 114 decibels, it is one of the loudest noises made by an animal.
FUN ACTIVITIES AT HOME
OBSERVE NATURE WITH PAYTON
Whether you are on a safari or exploring in your own yard, being aware of your surroundings and listening is key to learning about nature. Payton from South Bay Family YMCA has a nature observation project for you. Listen and take good notes! You could be featured on our social media channels when you share your picture or video!
MORE SAFARI FUN
- Explore different animals and watch live animal cameras all on our local San Diego Zoo webpage.
- Learn new facts and travel back in time to learn the ways of elephants and their ancestors the mammoth when you play Elephant Odyssey.
FAMILY WORD WORKOUTS
Our Y families are staying active and having fun with Family Word Workouts. Each letter of the alphabet represents a different exercise! This week, we're challenging you to a safari-themed workout every day:
- Monday: SAFARI
- Tuesday: EXPLORE
- Wednesday: JOURNEY
- Thursday: WILDLIFE
- Friday: ELEPHANT
Also, check our social channels (@YMCASANDIEGO) throughout the week for more get-you-moving words. Download your alphabet workout sheet.
FLIP FOR GYMNASTICS!
Y Kids are having fun learning gymnastics tricks and practicing skills with coaches from our branches through our new YMCA of San Diego Gymnastics Facebook group. You can get in on the fun, too! Note: A Facebook account is required to participate in this private group.
JOKE AND TRIVIA ANSWERS:
- 70 mph
- 60 years
- 18 inches
- 45 mph
- His shadow
- There are too many cheetahs