Week of June 1, 2020
Y KIDS NEWS
When school’s out, the Y is in! We hope you enjoy this edition of Y Kids News, a newsletter with games and activities you can do from home!
THIS WEEK'S THEME:
Who is your favorite superhero? Spider-Man, Black Panther, Captain Marvel — this week we celebrate all of them. Let's have a super fun time doing Flash's circuit workout, cooking up some Thor Hammer Snacks and Captain America Mini Pizzas, and creating masks (the superhero kind)!
Any superhero-in-training knows that being in tip-top shape is a must! Start your super exercises today!
- Alternating high knees: 20
- Inner thigh stretch: 20 seconds each leg
- Mountain climbers: 20 seconds
- Deltoid challenge: Hold arms out at shoulder height for 45 seconds.
- Quadriceps stretch: Hold 20 seconds each leg
- Mountain climbers: 25 seconds
WONDER WOMAN'S AMAZON TRAINING
Try to do 2-3 sets of the circuit.
- Jog in place to a 50-count.
- Crab walk for a 30-count.
- Do 20 slow squats.
- Hold a plank for a 30-count.
- Do 15 squat jumps.
- Do 10 push-ups.
FLASH'S CIRCUIT WORKOUT
Try to do 2-3 sets of the circuit.
- 15 jumping jacks
- 15 squats
- 15 push-ups
- 15 high knees
- 15 Superman
GOT A MINUTE?
Marco from South Bay Family YMCA has a couple of fun "Minute to Win It" challenges for you. Grab some pennies and a deck of cards, and watch this video for your instructions. Challenge your family and friends, and submit your video for a chance to be featured on our social channels!
THOR HAMMER SNACKS
- Cut the cheese into small rectangles.
- Push the pretzels into one side of the cheese.
CAPTAIN AMERICA MINI PIZZAS
- 1 can Grands Homestyle Biscuits
- 1-1/2 cups of pizza sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- Your choice of toppings (pepperoni, sausage, veggies, chicken, anything!)
- Press refrigerated biscuit dough on a greased or parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Spoon a tablespoon of pizza sauce on top of each biscuit and spread around.
- Cut and add your cheese star to the top of your pizza.
- Bake in the oven at 375 F for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges.
Create you own mask!
- Paper plate
- Paint, markers or crayons
- Cut your paper plate down to your desired shape or design.
- Paint or color your mask.
- Cut holes for the string on each side of the mask.
- Measure the string you your superheroes head. Add a little extra to account for tying it to the mask.
- Toilet paper rolls ( 1-2 per child)
- Paint (multiple colors)
- Foam or foam shapes (optional)
- Glitter (optional)
- Construction paper (can be used instead of paint)
- Paint rolls (allow time to dry).
- Cut a slit in roll.
- Decorate cuffs with foam shapes and glitter.
BE THE ENTERTAINER
- Clark Kent is also known as who?
- Who helps protect Gotham City?
- Diana is the name of which superhero?
- What are the names of the four Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?
- Which superhero carries an indestructible shield?
See answers below
- How did Spider-Man learn how to make his spider-suit?
- What did Iron Man say to Ant-Man?
- What is Aquaman's favorite bird?
MORE SUPERHERO FUN
- See how many words you can find in this superhero word search from Thrifty Mommas Tips
FAMILY WORD WORKOUTS
- Monday: VILLAIN
- Tuesday: SUPERHERO
- Wednesday: FLASH
- Thursday: AVENGER
- Friday: SUPERMAN
Also, check our social channels (@YMCASANDIEGO) throughout the week for more get-you-moving words. Download your alphabet workout sheet.
FLIP FOR GYMNASTICS!
Y Kids are having fun learning gymnastics tricks and practicing skills with coaches from our branches through our new YMCA of San Diego Gymnastics Facebook group. You can get in on the fun, too! Note: A Facebook account is required to participate in this private group.
- Wonder Woman
- Leonardo, Michelangelo, Raphael, and Donatello
- Captain America
- The World Wide Web
- Stop bugging me!
Miss an Issue?
Check out every issue of Kids News!