Quality child care programs can be costly for a lot of families. It’s important to understand that help is available for families through subsidy programs. We assist families in identifying child care and other community resources that meet the specific needs of the child and family. Our staff and resources encompass a wide variety of cultural perspectives and language requirements of the families we serve.
Family Support Services Department
We help families who qualify pay for child care services. Eligibility is based on income and need. Family Support Services administers state-funded Alternative Payment subsidies for child care.
We serve children:
- Infant to 13 years old
- 18 to 21 years old for people with documented exceptional needs, as long as a parent or caregiver remains eligible for the program.
In order to qualify for subsidized child care services, adult family members must be one of the following:
- Employed or looking for work
- Enrolled in job-related training
- Medically incapacitated
- Referred through Child Protective Services
- Participants in CalWORKS Welfare to Work Activity and referred by the County Welfare Department
Applying for Family Support Services Program
Families who are not automatically transferred from the County Welfare Department as a CalWORKs participant can apply to the Family Support Services program through the San Diego County Centralized Eligibility List (CEL).
CEL Enrollment Process
- A family’s application becomes eligible from the CEL in rank order.
- The family receives a phone call, a letter in the mail, or an e-mail indicating that their application is eligible.
- The family attends an intake appointment.
Contact the San Diego County Centralized Eligibility List (CEL) at 1-800-521-0560 or visit www.childcaresandiego.com to learn about the enrollment process and eligibility requirements.