HOW WE WORK WELL-BEING INTO OUR TEAM CULTURE & BENEFITS
At the Y, we believe that by investing in our team, they can, in turn, support others in our community. Our team is the heart of our work. We want to see each individual for who they truly are. We want to honor their unique gifts and talents and find ways to flex their strengths and develop their potential in new and creative ways.
As our Y looks to support the well-being of our team, we first need to determine what well-being truly means. In the past, health and well-being was viewed as a one-dimensional approach. Fortunately, we know more today, and proactive, holistic practices inform how we approach health, revealing multidimensional layers. The 6 primary dimensions include: physical, emotional, environmental, occupational, intellectual and spiritual. As a result, the Y’s approach to employee well-being strives to address each element to make the YMCA of San Diego County a leading employer in our diverse and expansive community.
Learn more about the benefits of working for the Y and how we’re working to ensure we demonstrate our team values of belonging, authenticity, integrity and innovation while bringing our full selves to our work and finding balance in our daily lives.
Please note: All employees should become familiar and rely on the policies, guidelines and eligibility information outlined in the personnel manual once hired. The following is only intended as a communication outline.
PHYSICAL & MENTAL HEALTH BENEFITS
- MEDICAL BENEFITS: First and foremost, we must satisfy our basic physiological needs before we can focus on the other stages of taking care of ourselves. The Y provides all benefit-eligible, full-time employees with medical, dental, and vision benefits.
- EMPLOYEE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (EAP): EAP is a confidential service designed to help all Y employees with a variety of personal programs such as Emotional Health, Parenting, Child Care and Education, Senior Caregiving Services, Well-Being and Daily Living, Legal and Financial. This service is fully covered by the YMCA with no cost to employees.
- YMCA MEMBERSHIP: At YMCA, we believe that a healthy lifestyle is key to mental and physical well-being. That's why we provide our team with a membership that provides full access to the amenities and services offered in our branches across the country. With your membership, you can enjoy state-of-the-art fitness centers, group exercise classes, aquatics centers, adult sports leagues and more!
- YMCA PROGRAM DISCOUNT: We understand that the world is a stressful place, especially for parents and caregivers who have additional responsibilities to manage on top of their work responsibilities. That's why we are passionate about helping our staff have full access to the YMCA program discounts and all the associated benefits. Full-time employees and family members receive a thirty percent (30%) discount, and part-time employees and family members receive a twenty percent (20%) discount on top of the member rate for program participation.
- ON-DEMAND FITNESS: Staying connected matters, which is why we provide our team with live streaming exercise classes, on-demand videos, social activities and workshops on mindfulness featuring experts in their field all from the comfort of their home.
- COUNSELING AND WELL-BEING SUPPORT: The YMCA of San Diego County's Youth & Family Services department offers employee support and 20% discount with our clinical teams who have extensive experience providing mental health services and online counseling to individuals, couples, families, children, and teens, covering a wide variety of topics – including anxiety and panic, depression, parent and caregiver support, phase of life adjustments, grief and loss, family conflict, conflict resolution, intimate partner violence, trauma, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) recovery, resiliency, foster care experience, separation and divorce, compassion, stress relief, self-regulation, child and teen behavior, personal growth, and adverse childhood experiences.
Our physical and mental well-being is also tied to finding time and space to refuel and recharge. Stress and fatigue can harm our health if we don’t find ways to cope. Finding balance is crucial and the Y continues to find ways to provide the necessary flexibility for our team members.
- PARENTAL LEAVE: Eligible employees may be entitled to 12-weeks of parental leave through wage replacement programs with the State (e.g. STD and PFL).
- SICK LEAVE: Team members who are absent due to sickness, including mental health or physical inability to perform duties, preventative care, accident, or medical appointments are entitled to paid sick leave. Full-time employees accrue 3.69 hours per pay period based on 26 periods. Part-time employees accrue sick leave benefits at 1-hour of sick leave for every thirty 30-hours worked.
- VACATION TIME: Although we're in the business of supporting others, our Y strives to foster a culture of flexible working hours to accommodate our lives. We hire people and trust them to use their best judgment when it comes to taking vacation time. Proactively taking time for rest and recovery helps mitigate stress. Full-time eligible employees accrue vacation on a per-pay-period basis. Vacation days accrued annually are between nine (1 year or less) to twenty-three (more than 5 years). Accrued vacation carries over from year to year, with a set maximum.
- PAID HOLIDAYS: Quality time with family and friends is essential to well-being. Benefit eligible full-time employees receive (9) paid holidays.
- PERSONAL DAYS: Benefit eligible full-time employees receive two (2) paid personal days per year.
- BEREAVEMENT: Benefit eligible full-time employees receive up to five (5) days off in the event of the death of an immediate family member.
- FLEXIBLE & REMOTE WORK: While much of our work is based in the community, some full-time positions do permit an increased level of flexibility with either telework/hybrid or remote work arrangements and virtual meetings.
Financial security is an important part of our overall well-being. Having retirement savings, life insurance, and other financial options like flexible spending accounts can help to provide peace of mind knowing that we are prepared for whatever life throws our way.
- RETIREMENT: We're proud to contribute up to ten percent (10%) retirement for eligible full-time employees after the required tenure compensation to the 401(a) defined contribution retirement plan administered by the YMCA Retirement Fund. In addition, the Y offers voluntary participation in a 403(b) tax deferred retirement savings plan, also administered by the YMCA Retirement Fund.
- GROUP BASIC LIFE AND AD&D INSURANCE: The Y helps benefit eligible full-time team members with the resources needed to protect their family from potentially devastating financial losses that could result upon death. The service allows for basic term life and accidental death or dismemberment coverage up to one-times an employee's annual salary (at no cost to the employee).
- FLEXIBLE SPENDING PLAN: The YMCA of San Diego County provides a flexible pre-tax contribution plan for full-time employees. Payroll deductions for health/dental premiums as well as medical and dependent care reimbursable plans are made on a pre-tax basis.
- ABENITY SAVINGS: We understand that taking care of yourself and your family is essential. From pizza nights with the kids to vacation planning, our partnership with Abenity has you covered with private and corporate discounts that help make saving a little easier. With access to thousands of deals on everything from car rentals and hotel stays to movie tickets and oil changes, Abenity helps our team members save money and make lasting memories.
WORKPLACE TRUST & SUPPORT
At the Y, we value individual authenticity. We strive to create a brave team who consistently values, encourages, and models authentic behaviors such as vulnerability, positivity, inclusion, self-awareness, transparency, respect, and trust.
- TEAM CULTURE: At the Y, we believe a psychologically safe workplace begins with a feeling of belonging. We enthusiastically desire to embrace the full potential of each individual and welcome all to contribute and integrate their true selves to achieve our mission, vision and values.
We strive to help employees land in a place where they feel comfortable with interpersonal risk-taking and speaking up, and our leaders nurture and promote their team's sense of psychological safety in the workplace.
- DIVERSITY & INCLUSION: We strongly believe that diversity and inclusion are essential to creating a successful work environment. We strive to create an inclusive culture where everyone feels welcome and respected, no matter their background or identity. We empower people from all walks of life by encouraging them to bring their full selves to work, creating an atmosphere of acceptance and belonging. As an organization, we are committed to fostering a diverse workforce, investing in our team and providing equal opportunities for all. We take pride in celebrating the unique perspectives, experiences, and talents of everyone who joins us on this journey.
- COMMUNITY SUPPORT SERVICES: The YMCA team has access to our Community Support Services, the social service arm of the YMCA. This branch of our Y offers a continuum of interrelated supports that build on one another to meet the unique needs of each individual and family. This includes a wide range of programs and services related to assistance finding and paying for child care, child welfare, education, housing, economic stability and mobility, and mental and behavioral health.
- BE WELL SERIES: Our Y's Be Well Webinar Series, interviewing industry experts in mindfulness and mental wellness, along with other virtual hangouts like book and movie clubs, online socials, and more activities. Learn how to focus on the present and receive guidance on how to live a vibrant, fulfilling life relevant to our times.
- MENTAL HEALTH AWARENESS: As servant leaders, we must always stay attuned to the mental health of not only our community members but the health of our team. Regardless of preexisting mental health conditions, each of us faces stressors that can produce feelings of anxiety, isolation, and depression. Working in the business of caring for others, which can often lead to increased stress, compassion fatigue, and moral injury. Our Y's Mental Health Awareness efforts provide our team with opportunities to connect, recharge, and support one another with resources for 31 Days of Wellness. In addition, we offer full-time employees one paid day off and one extended break for part-time team members.
- EMPLOYEE RESOURCE GROUPS: The Y's national ERG programs are groups of employees that come together based on shared characteristics or life experience and provide each other with support, career development, and personal development in the work environment. There are 6 national Y-USA recognized Employee Resource Groups that provide leadership development to staff in the YMCA movement. They include the African American Resource Network, Asian Pacific Islander Leadership Network, Emerging Leaders Resource Network, Hispanic Latino Leadership Network LBGTQ+ Resource Network, Women's Leadership Resource Network, and YMCA Professional Network.
It’s important that all Y team members feel like they belong. We enthusiastically desire to embrace the full potential of each individual and welcome all to contribute and integrate their true selves to achieve our mission and values.
Ensuring that our team has access to resources that will help them reach their fullest potential is paramount. This starts with our leadership who ensures they’re listening, learning and encouraging their teams to follow career aspirations and offering guidance on the steps to get there.
- FURTHERING EDUCATION: YMCA of San Diego County team members are eligible to receive a 25% tuition reduction scholarship at National University and DeVry University.
- CAREER PATHS: The Y's trainings are structured to meet all Y staff members' individual and collective Career Continued Education and Career Development needs. Learning content is aligned with individual roles and includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Aquatics Certifications
- Childcare and Camp Youth Development
- Health and Well-being
- Social Work Clinical Counseling
- Public Health
- Trauma Informed Care
- Fitness Certifications
- Leadership Certifications
- Leadership Competencies
- Member Engagement
- YMCA Skill Development
- Youth and Teen Development
- Conferences for affiliate groups such as Financial Development, Marketing, National Leadership, and many more.
Each core area offers numerous classes and concentrations. Training options include OnDemand, virtually led, and onsite facilitation.
Our Y loves San Diego and each of our unique communities! As a leading nonprofit organization dedicated to strengthening communities, the Y encourages community involvement, partnership development, and finding ways to support our neighbors. From providing transitional housing to young adults, ensuring that kids receive nutritious meals through our child care/camp meal programs, to teaching kids life skills in our Safety Around Water program and more, our contributions allow everyone to access the resources and support they need.
- ANNUAL CAMPAIGN: Each year thousands of generous volunteers, staff, and donors participate in our Annual Fundraising Campaign. The collective effort allows our Y to give every individual a Y experience, ensuring access for ALL. When you give or volunteer to fundraise for the Y, you are making an investment in our community and giving those in need the opportunity to thrive.
- CREATING EQUITABLE OPPORTUNITIES FOR ALL: Creating equitable opportunities for all means creating a society in which everyone has access to the same resources and opportunities, regardless of race, income, gender, religion, or any other factor.
- Participation in the Annual Campaign allows team members to join in our efforts to remove barriers of cost, ability, race, and identity to the experiences and relationships that nurture a healthy spirit, mind, and body so all can thrive.
- The Y is a participant in San Diego's annual Pride Parade.
- The Y hosts one of the largest county-wide events honoring Dr. Martin Luther King, providing our team with volunteer and engagement opportunities.
- Our Y believes everyone should have the opportunity to reach their highest potential. We are determined to address the social determinants of health by offering resources, support, modern facilities, and amenities in an environment that encourages and measures well-being, positive youth development, connection, and a sense of community for all. This evidence-based approach is our mission in action – to empower all individuals with the tools they need to achieve well-being, helping to combat the public health crisis of loneliness, isolation, and disconnection.
- Concrete supports to meet basic needs
- Child care
- Mental and behavioral health services
- Youth programs for social/emotional development
- Social connection and support for older adults
- Education and youth development, including parent/caregiver education and support for teens and young adults
- Financial planning and workforce readiness programs
- ROOTED IN COMMUNITY: Our Y's Rooted in Community campaign is meant to create space for our communities to envision what is possible when we invest in young people experiencing homelessness, and what happens when they feel seen, heard, and supported. Annually our YMCA team embarks on a community-based Solidarity Journey to raise awareness and funding for youth homelessness in November.