Gymnastics at Toby Wells YMCA
Build Strength, Skills and Confidence with Your Friends at the Y
Welcome to Toby Wells YMCA gymnastics, where toddlers to teens (and adults, too!) can grow strong, get confident, find balance and jump into fun. Based on the skills, levels and progressions developed by USA Gymnastics, our gymnasts learn in an encouraging atmosphere as they build skills to progress through each level of the program.
Location and Contacts
Toby Wells YMCA Gymnastics
5105 Overland Avenue
San Diego, CA 92123
Preschool: Mary Pino • [email protected]
Progressive: Jess Lane • [email protected]
Boys Team: Jack Poochigian • [email protected]
Girls Team: Alyssa Telles-Nolan • [email protected]
Program Director: Ashley Kurth • [email protected]
Registering for Classes
Class registration is available up to three months in advance. Classes are often full; we suggest registering 3-4 weeks in advance to ensure your child gets the class day/time you want.
Preschool Gymnastics — Walking to Age 5
The preschool gymnastics program offers age-appropriate instruction to help children gain coordination, balance, listening, social and motor skills — all in a fun gymnastics environment.
- Gymventures 1 — Walking to 24 months
- Gymventures 2 — Age 2
- Browse all Gymventures
- Transitional Kindergym — Ages 2-1/2 to 3-1/2
- Kindergym — Ages 3 to 4
- Kindergym Advanced — Ages 3 to 5
- Kindergym Open Gym — Ages 0 to 5
- Browse all Kindergym
- Little Ninjas — Ages 3 to 5
Boys Progressive Gymnastics — Ages 5-12
Boys in progressive classes will have the opportunity to use all of the men’s gymnastics apparatus: floor exercise, pommel horse, still rings, vault, parallel bars, and horizontal bar. Gymnasts will learn gymnastics terminology and develop strength, coordination, flexibility and self-confidence.
Girls Progressive Gymnastics
Girls enrolled in progressive classes will gain experience on each of the four women’s gymnastics apparatus: vault, uneven parallel bars, balance beam and floor exercise. Gymnasts will learn gymnastics terminology and develop strength, coordination, flexibility and self-confidence.
- Adaptive Gymnastics — All Ages
- Cheer/Tumbling — Ages 9 to 17
- Gymnastics Birthday Party — Ages 1 to 12
- Gymnastics Open Gym Frenzy — Ages 3 to 12
Two hours of open gym and one hour of sports and games; every third Saturday. A date night for parents, and fun for the gymnasts!
- Gymnastics Camps
See the day camp section for week-long camps in winter, spring and summer.
- Beginning Parkour — Ages 5+
- Open Gym
- Kindergym - Ages 3 -5
- Open Gym - Ages 5-15
- Adult Open Gym - Ages 13+
- Browse All Open Gym
Schedule at a Glance
Progressive Classes and Teams
Gymnastics classes are not in session during the following dates:
- March 8-9, 2019
- May 27, 2019
- July 1-7, 2019
- September 2, 2019
- October 31, 2019
- November 27-30, 2019
Note: Sessions with fewer than four classes will have an adjusted price.
Private lessons are available by appointment for both gymnastics and cheerleading. Private lessons can provide extra time to work on specific skills or routines, especially before try-outs or skill evaluations.
Semi-Private Training (2 people)
Semi-Private Training (3 people)
General Information for Progressive Program
Progressive classes have a ratio of 1:8. Depending on registration, there may be fewer than 8.
Attire for Classes
- Girls: Leotards or comfortable shorts and T-shirt. Avoid clothes with zippers, snaps, and buttons. Students may wear socks or go barefoot. Hair must be pulled back. No jewelry or gum.
- Boys: Athletic shorts and T-shirt. Avoid clothes with zippers, snaps, and buttons. Students may wear socks or go barefoot. Hair must be pulled back. No jewelry or gum.
Checking in for Classes
On the first week of each month, check-in is required and a check-in table will be located outside the gymnastics facility. After the first week, check-in is not required until the first week of the next month. Check-in is required to ensure your child is registered and in the correct level. Please bring a receipt if you register on the day of class.
Make-up classes can be scheduled on a space-available basis. Makeups are not guaranteed. Schedule makeups by contacting Mary Pino for preschool or Walter Jaramillo for progressive. Please be sure to show up only on the day you are registered for classes.
Progressing to the Next Level
To progress to the next level, a student must be able to perform all skills in their current level. Contact Walter Jaramillo for a list of skills required for each level. Your child's instructor will inform you and your child when it's time for an evaluation.
Evaluation sign-ups are posted the third week of the session. Evaluations are held during the last week of every session. Your child must be evaluated before moving to the next level. Sign up for an appointments on the evaluation board posted near the entrance to the gymnastics center. Gymnasts will progress only at the start of a new session.
- If your child is registered in the progressive program (ages 5+), and you are a YMCA member, you can use the facility during class, but you must be present to pick up your child after class.
- You may observe your child's class from the viewing area. Parents/guardians are not permitted in the gymnastics center to ensure safety of all.
- Text Alerts: You can opt in for text alerts by texting MVGYMNASTICS to 84483. Alerts include registration reminders, facility closures and updates.
If you have questions about the gymnastics program or classes at Toby Wells YMCA, see individuals listed at the top of this page or call (858) 496-9622.