Swim At The Y
Y swim clinics focus on improving the technical development of swim strokes while increasing comfortability in the water. Our swim clinic instructors maintain a positive, encouraging environment where swimmers are challenged to take their skills the next level. Clinics are available for swimmers of all ages and will take place at various YMCA pools across San Diego County.
Swim clinics include a variety of options for swimmers to grow in confidence and strengthen their skills in the pool, from water polo to Jr. Lifeguard and swim team prep clinics!
Make a splash! Sign up for swim clinics and unlock your next level of swimming.
SWIM CLINICS AVAILABLE
Learn more about specific clinics available across the association below. Use the location filter in the top left corner of the Community Portal to filter clinics offered at your desired branch.
PRIVATE SWIM CLINICS
Learn to swim and/or improve your technique at your own pace with private swim clinics! These clinics teach swim safety, techniques and specific skills in a one-on-one or group setting. Find the clinic that is best for you and build your confidence in the water. Private swim clinics are available for youth and adults.
It is never too late to learn something new! Gain new skills through a variety of swim clinics that cover specialized content knowledge to help swimmers expand their horizons. These clinics are for those confident in swimming but need to work on endurance and technique. Participants should be comfortable in the water and be able to float on their front and back and swim at least 25 yards front crawl and back crawl. Currently offered only at T. Claude and Gladys B. Ryan Family YMCA (Register) and South Bay Family YMCA (Register).
JUNIOR LIFEGUARDS PREP
It’s time to get swim ready for summer! Junior Lifeguard preparatory clinics will help you ace the city swim test for the Junior Lifeguard program! These clinics focus on freestyle endurance and speed, open water awareness and treading water.
This clinic is currently only offered at the T. Claude and Gladys B. Ryan Family YMCA and offers 2 levels based on the San Diego city JRLG age groups (Grommets 7-8 years & ABC 9-17 years).
SKILLS AND DRILLS - WATER POLO
Practice your skills with fun drills in our Y water polo clinics! Swimmers will learn gameplay, rules, ball handling, passing and shooting while enhancing their swim conditioning and endurance in this unique swim clinic. Swimmers should be ages 8-16, beginner or intermediate level, in stage 4 swim lessons or above. (Currently only at T. Claude and Gladys B. Ryan Family YMCA).
SWIM TEAM PREP
Swim team prep clinics are geared toward helping swimmers improve their stroke mechanics and stamina while preparing for swim team tryouts. These clinics are a great opportunity to practice what you learned in swim lessons and solidify your swimming skills.
ABOUT SWIM CLINICS
Swim clinics at the Y of San Diego County are for the swimmer who has experience with swimming but wants to improve their endurance and technique. Participants should be comfortable in the water, be able to float on their front and back and swim at least 25-yards front crawl and back crawl. Gain new skills and strengthen your technique through our swim clinics that cover a variety of specializations to help swimmers expand their horizons.
BENEFITS OF SWIM CLINICS:
- Stay active and take your swim workouts to the next level.
- Receive tips and feedback to improve your swimming ability.
- Meet new friends and connect with other swimmers.
- Ability to track and record your fitness progress and goals.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- All YMCA swim clinic instructors are nationally certified and are trained in CPR, AED, First Aid, and Oxygen Administration.
- Swim clinics are offered at various YMCAs in San Diego County in private or group sessions.
- Swim clinic options are branch-specific. Please keep in mind your location when registering for clinics.
- Young swimmers 5 and under, or novice swimmers, must have a parent or guardian in the water.
- Swim clinics will focus on skills-based instruction with an emphasis on personal safety while having fun.
- Tools and resources are provided to support students and families when outside of the Y.
- Swim lessons are recommended before signing up for swim clinics, but are not required for all clinics.
- Swim clinics are available to youth, teens and adults.
Wondering where to begin? View all swim clinics and read through our descriptions below for more information!