At YMCA Youth and Family Services, we understand the urgent and critical issues faced by LGBTQ+ youth experiencing homelessness. Studies show that up to 40% of youth experiencing homelessness identify as LGBTQ+, putting them at a significantly higher risk compared to their non-LGBTQ+ peers. In response to these alarming statistics, we are developing tailored solutions that address, support, and affirm this population of youth.
In partnership with The San Diego LGBT Community Center and San Diego Youth Services, the LGBTQ Safe STAY Wellness Center is a comprehensive emergency housing program designed to meet the unique needs of young people experiencing homelessness or housing instability. We provide a holistic and LGBTQ-affirming approach that focuses on the stability and well-being of our participants.
By providing bridge housing and supportive services for up to 6 months, the program aims to reduce stress, address immediate needs, and assist participants in finding more permanent housing solutions..
- Safe and dignified housing
- Concrete supports like food, showers, clothing, laundry, and transportation
- Culturally responsive, trauma-informed mental and behavioral health services
- Case management and peer support
- Housing navigation
- Employment support and training
- Financial assistance
- Benefit advocacy
- Referrals to existing community resources
- The LGBTQ Safe STAY Wellness Center supports transition-aged youth (ages 18-24) facing homelessness or housing instability in the City of San Diego, with a specific focus on supporting LGBTQ youth.
For more information about this program, contact:
YMCA TAY Housing Program Director