BLOOD PRESSURE SELF-MONITORING PROGRAM
Take Action to Improve Heart Health
One in three American adults has high blood pressure, which puts them at risk for stroke and heart disease, two of the leading causes of death in the United States.
In response to this critical health issue, YMCA’s Blood Pressure Self-Monitoring program offers personalized support while participants develop the habit of monitoring their blood pressure. Research shows that the process of recording blood pressure at least twice a month over a period of four months can lower blood pressure in many people with high blood pressure.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The four-month program focuses on regular home monitoring of one's blood pressure using proper measuring techniques, one-on-one consultations with a trained Healthy Heart Ambassador, support and group-based nutrition education for better blood pressure management. Program goals include gaining increased awareness of triggers that impact blood pressure, accurate self-monitoring, attendance of a monthly nutrition education seminar in-person or virtually and meeting with a Healthy Heart Ambassador twice a month for a personalized consultation.
- Measure and record their blood pressure at least two times per month.
- Attend two personalized consultations per month.
- Attend monthly nutrition education seminars.
Trained Certified Healthy Heart Ambassadors
You will be trained on the proper technique for taking your own blood pressure readings accurately, will assist you in identifying trends and patterns in your readings over time, and will provide ongoing support as you work to make blood pressure self-monitoring a habit.
Office Hour Consultations
Healthy Heart Ambassadors are available each week for one-on-one 10-minute consultations to support you as you continue to better manage your blood pressure. You’ll be asked to attend at least two consultations a month, but you will be welcome any time a Healthy Heart Ambassador is on-duty. To ensure you feel supported throughout the program, you will also receive weekly emails or calls from a Healthy Heart Ambassador.
Nutrition Education Seminars
Our monthly seminars highlight how food is related to blood pressure management and will provide you with the knowledge and skills to make heart-healthy choices. Topics covered include reducing sodium intake and heart-healthy eating. Each 45-minute seminar will also offer an opportunity for you to take your own blood pressure with coaching on proper technique from a Healthy Heart Ambassador.
- Reduction in blood pressure.
- Develop new skills to manage blood pressure.
- Ability to identify and control triggers that elevate blood pressure
- Enhanced knowledge to adopt healthier eating habits.
- Participants must be at least 18 years old.
- Be diagnosed with high blood pressure.
- Not have experienced a recent cardiac event.
- Not have atrial fibrillation or other arrhythmias.
- Not be at risk for lymphedema.
The Y has Blood Pressure Self-Monitoring Programs available at the following locations:
- Copley-Price Family YMCA - beginning October 7, 2023
- Magdalena Ecke Family YMCA - coming soon
- T. Claude and Gladys B. Ryan Family YMCA - coming soon
- Joe and Mary Mottino Family YMCA - coming soon
- Border View Family YMCA - coming soon
- Dan McKinney Family YMCA - coming soon
- South Bay Family YMCA - coming soon
For any questions, please contact [email protected].