New For You At Joe and Mary Mottino Family YMCA
Facility News and Updates
We continue to reopen our facilities and programming! View the YMCA of San Diego County's safe operating policies and guidelines here!
Family members can opt to add a Child Watch option to their accounts, which includes unlimited use of the service for $10 monthly. New: Use your Child Watch benefit at any YMCA that offers the service. While you exercise or relax at the Y, children can play under the supervision of trained YMCA staff. Child Watch is open to children ages 6 weeks to 9 years old!
Health and Wellness
WOMEN'S WELLNESS WEEKEND
Join us September 16-18 at Camp Marston in Julian, for our annual Women’s Wellness Weekend! Spend a wonderful weekend away with friends to craft, connect and commune with nature. This event is limited to 200 spots – register today!
GROUP FITNESS CLASSES
Be sure to check our group fitness class schedule for new classes and updates. Remember, members have unlimited access to classes!
HEALTH AND WELLNESS ORIENTATION
Meet with a wellness coach to get acquainted with equipment and classes, ask questions and chart a path to reach your goals. Schedule your 30-minute orientation at the Welcome Center! Learn more.
Y Active Adults (50+)
Clubs are back! Are you looking to share your ideas, interests, and passion with other YAA members? Then these are perfect for you! The following clubs are currently running:
- Book Club — First Friday of every month | 9:00am | Back studio: Share your ideas and enjoy reading a variety of books. We’re reading "The Latehomecomer: A Hmong Family Memoir" by Kao Kalia Yang during the month of August.
- WOW — Second Thursday of every month | 12:30pm | Locations vary: Widows and widowers who enjoy going out to lunch, concerts and community events.
- Lunch & Learn Club — Third or Fourth Friday of the month | 12:00pm: Different speakers and many interesting and worthwhile topics.
- Dance Club: Our dance club is being revamped! Stay tuned for details.
- Craft Club: Coming soon. First project will be a Halloween decoration.
Note: Our meeting rooms may change during summer due to camps. Inquire at our Welcome Center for meeting locations.
For specific information on days and times or are interested in starting a YAA club, contact Alexis Kramer, [email protected].
UPCOMING CLUB MEETINGS
- Soul Line Dance — Thursday, August 18 at 1:00pm: Let the soul in you come out as you learn simple line dances choreographed by Pam Jackson to popular old jazz, latin and blues tunes. This Soul Line Dance class is great for beginners and experienced dancers — no partner required. We’ll meet in either the main studio or back studio — inquire at the Welcome Center upon arrival.
- Lunch & Learn — Friday, August 26 at 12:00pm: Would you like to feel more secure with your retirement plan? Understanding the current market and a few tools that are available to direct your future will be discussed by mortgage advisor, John Gillis. Hosted by Sarah Gray, realtor with COMPASS and Homes for the Heroes specialist. No need to register. Just show up! Participants are welcomed and we ask that participants bring a photo ID and sign a waiver at the front desk. Please bring a small dish to share and your water — potluck begins at 12:00pm. Presentation begins at 12:30pm.
SOME GREAT CLASSES & INSTRUCTORS
Please pick up your August schedule in the lobby or women’s locker room.
- Fitness Schedule: We are so thrilled to have so many YAA classes on the schedules. Let’s continue to keep our attendance high!
- Chair Yoga — Mondays at 10:00am: Your awesome chair yoga class has moved to a new time! Please note that this may be a temporary change for summer.
- Party in the Pool — Wednesdays at 6:00pm: We added another Water Fit class! Laura will be teaching Wednesday evenings. The water is set at a comfortable 84 degrees and we are so excited!!
- Balance Classes — Fridays at 11:00am: This class focuses on balance, the posterior chain that keeps us upright, toning and flexibility. YAA Coordinator Alexis Kramer describes these classes just like flossing your teeth – “You just have to do it. It will pay back double!!”
- TRX — Mondays at 4:30pm: TRX is a “body weight” type of exercise format. We attach straps to the yellow loops on the studio walls and perform a variety of exercises. The great thing about TRX is that it is geared for EVERYONE! The instructor can tell you how to place your body so the exercise is harder or easier. Please keep in mind that there are only 10 spots available and that signing in is necessary. The sign-in clipboard is in the Fitness Center about 15 minutes before the start of class. See Alexis on Mondays at 4:30pm. This is a 45-minute class. There are 3 TRX classes on the schedule.
- Personal Training Tips: Do y>u have questions about our machines or equipment in the Fitness Center? Do you have a general question about an injury and need advice about what to do? Our friendly trainers and they will be glad to meet with you. They can show you specific exercises or set up a program for you. Look for staff wearing a black personal trainer shirt.
We’re listening to your comments and hear you are enjoying all of our low impact classes just as they are. Keep in mind, that we are always open to your suggestions and value your input for a better and stronger YAA program.
- A big SHOUTOUT to our Chair-man, Mario. Mario has been so gracious setting up and storing back our chairs that we use in our exercise classes. Please take the time to give Mario a special thanks!
- A huge THANK YOU to Stephanie for doing a fantastic job organizing our Cards and Games club!
- THANK YOU to Marian — our loyal and friendly Widows & Widowers (WOW) leader.
Get added to the YAA email list! The email comes directly from YAA Coordinator, Alexis Kramer. Get the latest information regarding classes, events and more. You can also pick up all flyers in the lobby or women’s locker room. If interested in being on the email list, please leave your name and email address with Alexis Kramer or leave at the front desk.
Activities for Kids and Families
AFTER SCHOOL RECREATION
The After School Rec program is a non-custodial program where students from Empresa Elementary will participate in educational assistance, daily physical activities, STEM & literacy programming, along with building life skills & developing healthy relationships. Learn more.
Registration for the Joe and Mary Mottino YMCA Preschool program is now open! Learn more.
Join us as we premier our new preschool to the community! Tours will be held Monday through Friday at 10am, 1pm and 5pm.
Adventure Guides offers a unique experience for parents and their children to enjoy a mix of group activities and outdoor adventures while creating close and enduring relationships. Learn more.
EXTENDED LEARNING ACADEMY AT BELLA MENTE
The Extended Learning Academy is one of several state-funded Expanded Learning Programs (ELP) that provides free before and after school care for qualifying families at Bella Mente. Learn more.
- Circle Time: 11:00am, Monday
- Music and Movement: 11:00am, Tuesday
- Once Upon a Time: 11:00am, Wednesday
- Bouncing Buddies: 11:15am, Thursday
These programs are for ages 2 to 5. Parents can get a workout or stay and play!
SUMMER YOUTH SPORTS
Come out and play this summer at the Y! Register now for peewee soccer lessons and youth soccer leagues — games begin July 9. View options here.
TEAM: Our swim team is practicing regularly! If your child would like to get involved, swimmers should be proficient in 100 yards freestyle, 125 yards IM (50 yards freestyle, 50 yards breaststroke, 25 yards butterfly). Tryouts are Monday-Thursday at 4:00pm, by appointment only. For more information or to schedule a tryout, contact Swim Coach, Michelle Davis, at [email protected]. Learn more about swim teams at the Y.
LESSONS: We offer private and group swim lessons for all ages and abilities that help develop competency in swimming as well as confidence and endurance. Learn more.
Experience the joy of dance at the Y. Ballet classes for ages 4 to 12 are available monthly. Register now.
We are proud to offer many high-quality martial art programs that provide an encouraging, non-intimidating, and family-friendly environment for students of all ages. Learn more.
Have fun after school at the Y playing classic playground games like tag, dodgeball, kickball and more! Register today.
Events and Special Activities
Did you know you could help save up to three lives by giving blood? The YMCA of San Diego County has partnered with the American Red Cross to host blood drives across the county this year. Mottino Family YMCA will host a blood drive on the following days from 8:00am to 2:30pm:
- August 8
- October 7
Help address a critical need for blood donations in our community! View dates.
Community Support Services
Connecting You To Care
We've streamlined the child care search process with our enhanced referral system to help parents make the best decision for their families. Learn more!
Teen Guide to Mental Health and Wellness
Are you looking for young-person-specific hotlines, apps and resources? Check out this infographic from the San Diego County Office of Education!
Expanded Learning Programs - Now Hiring!
Our ELP team is looking for fun and energetic leaders who are passionate about working with youth and building their professional skills. Learn more!
KEEP IN TOUCH
CONNECT ON SOCIAL
Visit our subscription center to opt in for text-message alerts to ensure you receive updates that may affect your visit to the Y.