New For You At South Bay Family YMCA
Help Us Ensure Access for All
As a leading nonprofit, our Y is making a difference in the lives of 11,432 community members annually through our programs and services. Thanks to generous donations to our annual fundraising campaign, we are opening doors and changing lives. When you invest in the Y, your dollars will directly benefit kids and families in under-served communities and provide scholarships to fulfill our mission to serve all people regardless of their ability to pay. The need is urgent and growing…and it can’t be met without you! Please give to South Bay Family YMCA. The more we raise, the more people we can help.
OUR GOAL: $280,000en español
Facility News and Updates
Check here news about special happenings and updates that may affect your visit to the Y! Scroll down to see more specific information for different programming areas.
February 13 - March 5: Get your 2023 off to the best start by committing to building one new healthy habit! We invite you to join us in the RESET Challenge, 21-day wellness challenge designed to help you restart, refocus and repurpose to build successful, healthy habits! Sign up today.
NEW MY Y COMMUNITY PORTAL
Set up your new My Y account! In November 2022, we launched a new platform for program registrations and YMCA accounts. Learn more and find out how to get connected here.
NEW YMCA APP
The new YMCA app makes it easy to stay connected to the Y. Use it to scan in at the Y, check schedules for group fitness classes, pools and facilities, add activities to your calendar and more. Learn more.
Lifeguard Academy is now FREE for all applicants who pass tryouts. In addition to the Lifeguard Academy being free, the Y is also paying for those who pass the tryout to become YMCA swim lesson instructors! Get certified to save lives and start getting paid within two weeks! Learn more.
CHILD WATCH MEMBERSHIP OPTION
Family members can opt to add a Child Watch option to their accounts, which includes unlimited use of the service for $10 monthly. Use your Child Watch benefit at any YMCA that offers the service. While you exercise or relax at the Y, children can play under the supervision of trained YMCA staff. Child Watch is open to children ages 6 months to 9 years old. Our current Child Watch hours are Monday-Thursday, 3:45pm - 6:45pm and Saturday, 8:00am-10:30am.
- Child watch updates: The South Bay Family Y will be closing child watch from February 17- February 21 for renovations.Thank you for your understanding!
Events and Special Activities
Join your favorite YMCA Zumba instructors and special guest ZIN instructor for a two-hour FUN and DYNAMIC workout at our annual ZUMBA PARTY benefitting our South Bay Family YMCA Annual Support Campaign fundraiser event at the Border View Family YMCA gymnasium (directions) on Saturday, February 25 from 11:00am - 1:00pm.
- Suggested donation is $25 per person or $45 for two people. Donate on our classy page and add your name in the comment section to be added to the roster event for admission. Non-members and guests of the YMCA are welcome to attend.
- Please arrive early and check-in at 10:45am to complete an electronic participation waiver form prior to the event.
For questions, please contact Michelle Manly, Program Coordinator at [email protected].
PEDAL FOR A CAUSE | Ages 13+
Join your favorite YMCA cycle instructors for a two-hour FUN workout at our annual Pedal for a Cause Bike-a-thon benefitting our South Bay Family YMCA Annual Support Campaign. This fundraiser event will take place in Studio 1 on Saturday, March 11 in two sessions from 9:00am - 11:05am. Session 1 at 9:00am - 10:00am (12 spots available) and/or Session 2 at 10:05am - 11:05am (12 spots available).
- Suggested donation is $25 (per session/ per rider) or $45 (for both sessions/per rider). Donate on our classy page and add your name in the comment section to be added to the roster event for admission. Non-members and guests of the YMCA are welcome to attend.
- Please arrive early and check-in at 8:45am and 9:45am to complete an electronic participation waiver form prior to the event.
For questions, please contact Michelle Manly, Program Coordinator at [email protected].
Health and Wellness
GROUP FITNESS CLASSES
Be sure to check our group fitness class schedule for all of our new classes and updates. Remember, members have unlimited access to classes!
New group fitness classes:
- Cycle — Tuesdays at 8:00am with Sonia
- Zumba — Tuesdays at 10:00am with Cecy
- Zumba — Wednesdays at 9:00am with Cecy
- Vinyasa Yoga — Wednesdays at 9:00am with Marian
- Vinyasa Yoga — Thursdays at 9:30am with Marian
- Zumba — Thursdays at 10:00am with Renelynne
- Aqua Fit/Shallow — Fridays at 7:30am with Sonia
- Exercise Lite — Fridays at 11:05am with Oli
SBY welcomes back Group Exercise instructor Viridiana “Viri” Armenta who will be teaching Tuesdays Les Mills BODYPUMP at 5:30pm. We are excited to have her rejoin our team after 2 years. When asked what she is looking forward to when returning, “I look forward to reconnecting with members and meeting new ones! I miss my YMCA family and I’m so happy to back on the team! ”
TRAIL RUNNERS CLUB
Whether you are preparing for a race or just running for exercise, connect with other runners through the South Bay Family YMCA Trail Runners Club. You must have some running experience and feel comfortable running 3-6 miles. All running levels are welcome. This group is not meant for hikers or walkers. Download the Trail Runners flyer. (PDF).
InBody body-composition assessments are available by appointment. Get a detailed breakdown of your lean tissue, water and fat mass in just 45 seconds. Now you can leave the guessing behind and know exactly what is inside your body! See a coach or trainer to get signed up.
HEALTH AND WELLNESS ORIENTATION
Meet with a wellness coach to get acquainted with equipment and classes, ask questions and chart a path to reach your goals. Schedule your 30-minute orientation at the Welcome Center! Learn more.
Y’s Active Adults (50+)
Valentine's Day Potluck Social: Tuesday, February 14 | 12:15pm | Multi-purpose room — Celebrate Valentine's Day and join us for our first potluck social of the year! Please bring a dish to share — friends are welcome!
HEALTH & WELLNESS ASSESSMENT
You’re invited to participate in three YAA (YMCA Active Adults) health and wellness assessments. The assessments are free to members and will measure various metrics related to body composition, strength, flexibility, and connectivity to the Y and our Y and fellow members. YMCA team members (certified instructors and trainers) will provide guidance, support and advice about activities to help improve your physical and social well-being. Sign up today for the initial assessment. Limited spots available.
Activities for Kids and Families
Registration for South Bay Family YMCA Character Builders before and/or after school child care is open for the 2022-2023 school year. View all Character Builder site locations and learn more.
FEBRUARY SWIM LESSONS
Sign up for group or private swim lessons in February! Register today.
- Swim lessons: Three new private swim lesson time slots have been added on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- Swim team: Our swim team is practicing regularly! If your child would like to get involved, swimmers should be proficient in 100 yards freestyle with rotary breathing, 100-200 IM based on ability, 25-50 yards butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke and freestyle. Learn more about swim teams at the Y.
- New! Swim clinics: Join us on Fridays at 6:55pm for this hour-long class! These swim clinics are geared toward helping swimmers improve their stroke mechanics, stamina, prepare for swim team tryouts and practice what you learned in swim lessons. Clinics are monthly and the cost will be the same pricing as that month's school-aged swim lessons.
- Cost for February: $131 for members and $171 for participants.
- More information: For more information or to schedule a tryout, contact [email protected].
YOUTH FITNESS TRAINING
Kids don't have to stay home while parents work out! Join our youth fitness program for fun activities designed especially for ages 6-12. Kids will learn how to move, interact, and train to improve their strength, stamina and social skills. Our structured format will focus on basic fitness fundamentals to keep kids active and moving! Takes place on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 4:30pm on the outside turf. Sign up today at the front desk!
Celebrate your day with a splash at the YMCA! We are now offering Pool Birthday Parties! Reserve your 2-hour time slot for Saturdays from 10:30am - 12:30pm for a birthday-party-people-only swim time in the instructional pool, followed by an hour on our pool deck for party time and birthday singing. Birthday party participants will have access to the NEWLY working splash pad for the party's duration! Parties must have a $50 deposit fee to hold the date. Birthday parties cost $250 for members and $333 for nonmembers. Learn more here.
New sessions begin monthly in our youth ballet program. Register today!
Community Support Services
Connecting You To Care
We've streamlined the child care search process with our enhanced referral system to help parents make the best decision for their families. Learn more!
KEEP IN TOUCH
CONNECT ON SOCIAL
Visit our subscription center to opt in for text-message alerts to ensure you receive updates that may affect your visit to the Y.