New For You At Dan McKinney Family YMCA
Help Us Ensure Access for All
As a leading nonprofit, our Y is making a difference in the lives of 17,071 community members annually through our programs and services. Thanks to generous donations to our annual fundraising campaign, we are opening doors and changing lives. When you invest in the Y, your dollars will directly benefit kids and families in under-served communities and provide scholarships to fulfill our mission to serve all people regardless of their ability to pay. The need is urgent and growing…and it can’t be met without you! Please give to Dan McKinney Family YMCA. The more we raise, the more people we can help.
OUR GOAL: $335,000
Facility News and Updates
Check here news about special happenings and updates that may affect your visit to the Y! Scroll down to see more specific information for different programming areas.
NEW YMCA APP
The new YMCA app makes it easy to stay connected to the Y. Use it to scan in at the Y, check schedules for group fitness classes, pools and facilities, add activities to your calendar and more. Learn more.
BECOME A LIFEGUARD AT THE Y
Lifeguard Academy is now FREE for all applicants who pass tryouts. Get certified to save lives and start getting paid within two weeks! Learn more.
SPLASH PAD BIRTHDAYS
The splash pad is now available for birthday parties! Contact our aquatics department to reserve your two-hour party time on Saturdays or Sundays!
BASKETBALL GYMNASIUM CLOSED
Due to critical maintenance and repairs, the basketball gymnasium is closed until further notice. At this stage, we do not have an estimated repair timeline but will continue to share updates in the coming months. As a reminder, members have full access to other YMCAs across San Diego County, the closest with gymnasiums being Ryan Family YMCA and Mission Valley YMCA.
CHILD WATCH MEMBERSHIP OPTION
Family members can add a Child Watch option to their accounts, which includes unlimited use of the service for $20 monthly. Use your Child Watch benefit at any YMCA that offers the service. While you exercise or relax at the Y, children can play under the supervision of trained YMCA staff. Child Watch is open to children ages 6 weeks to 9 years old!
- Updated Hours: Friday hours will now be 8:30am-1:00pm. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause!
Special Events and Activities
Live Well on Wheels (Live WoW)
Join us as the Live Well on Wheels (Live WoW) bus will visit Dan McKinney Family YMCA on the first Wednesday of every month at 8:00am-3:00pm to provide members access to a variety of health and community services – on the go! The bus is fully equipped to offer a variety of resources including disaster response services, health screenings and will have representatives ready to assist members in living healthier lives.
Live WoW is free and open to people of all ages. No registration is required.
- Craft Club — Tuesdays | 5:30-7:00pm | CR2: Share your crafting ideas, projects and work with others to learn new crafting techniques. Our Y has a Cricut machine and Cricut mug press that attendees are welcome to use!
- Sunset Walking Club — Wednesdays | 6:00pm | Welcome Center: Get your walking shoes ready! Join us for a walk to explore our surrounding neighborhood and enjoy a beautiful sunset. We encourage members to bring their strollers, too!
- Evening Book Club — Third Thursday | 5:30-7:00pm | CR2: Join us for a discussion about the book of the month at our book club group! Please visit our Welcome Center for information on our monthly reading.
- Art Club — Thursdays | 5:00-6:00pm | CR2: Join us as we follow along art instruction videos to create a masterpiece using different art techniques. We encourage members to bring their own supplies, as we have limited supplies available.
*These events are free for members to attend. Registration is required. All clubs are subject to cancellation. Please check-in at our Welcome Center.
Health and Wellness
Upgrade your relationship with food! These educational classes will teach the basics of food and its important role as fuel for the body. Learn healthy and inspiring recipe ideas, while observing the preparation of a delicious meal. End each class equipped with instructions, ideas, and a better overall knowledge of nutrition with applicable ways to make it work for you. You may even get to sample the dishes before you leave to try them at home! Classes continue the second and third Wednesdays of the month.
Cost: $20 Members | $25 Nonmembers
Register now and get cooking!
For any questions or concerns regarding Health and Wellness, please contact Jeremy Sobotka at [email protected].
NIA WORKSHOP: March 11
Learn to move your body your way to feel good with the 52 Moves and sense the 9 movement forms at our Nia workshop on Saturday, March 11 at 10:00am! Why attend the Nia workshop? Nia is a sensory-based movement practice that draws from martial arts, dance arts and healing arts. It empowers people of all shapes and sizes by connecting with the senses and movement. In this workshop, we’ll explore how you can deepen your connection to body, mind and spirit and gain greater health through movement. Dress comfortably for seated lecture and movement. Some practice will be barefoot. Sign up at the front desk!
For more information, contact Jeremy Sobotka at [email protected].
Reiki therapy sessions with Lanie Chapman, certified Reiki master with more than 30 years of experience. Reiki is an ancient, safe, natural and proven healing technique for stress reduction and relaxation, mental clarity, reduction of pain, improved sleep, increase of confidence and self-esteem.
LIVESTRONG at the YMCA engages cancer survivors through an approach that focuses on the whole person — mind and body. Through this program participants work with trained Y staff to improve cardiovascular endurance and functional ability, build muscle mass and strength, and increase flexibility. In addition to physical benefits, the program also focuses on the mental and emotional well-being of survivors and their families. This creates a supportive community environment where people affected by cancer can connect during treatment and beyond. Get more information online here.
InBody body-composition assessments are available by appointment. Get a detailed breakdown of your lean tissue, water and fat mass in just 45 seconds. Now you can leave the guessing behind and know exactly what is inside your body! Free with a purchase of a PT package or $20 for members, $30 for non-members. See a coach or trainer to get signed up or contact Jeremy Sobotka, [email protected].
Pickleball is now at Dan McKinney! Come play pickleball! Check in at the front desk before attending. Spots are limited so this is first come first serve. Please note, set up and take down will be the responsibility of the member. Equipment available to rent for free at the front desk, but is monitored to ensure good condition. Join our pickleball club on the outdoor courts on Fridays at 9:00am! Learn more about pickleball here.
YOGA: PRIVATE LESSONS
Deepen your yoga practice with private yoga lessons. Be heard, be seen, transform and rise to your full potential! Contact Jeremy Sobotka at [email protected] for more information or schedule your private lesson.
HEALTH AND WELLNESS ORIENTATION
Meet with a wellness coach to get acquainted with equipment and classes, ask questions and chart a path to reach your goals. Schedule your 30-minute orientation at the Welcome Center! Learn more.
Activities for Kids and Families
SCHOOL BREAK CAMPS
When school is out, fun is in at the Y! Register for camp today.
MODEL UNITED NATIONS (MUN) PROGRAM
The YMCA Youth and Government Model United Nations program is a simulation of the “real-life” United Nations Assembly. Participants in the Model United Nations (MUN) will take part in some of the activities that the real U.N. participates in. Ambassadors will research, debate and establish policies, treaties and resolutions focusing on international issues, including disputes between countries, peace keeping responsibilities, border crisis, stabilizing financial markets and dealing with hunger, disease and poverty. This program is open to children in grade six through eight.
Join us for an informational meeting on Wednesday, February 8 at 6:00pm.
FEBRUARY SWIM LESSONS
Sign up for group or private swim lessons in February! Register today.
Our La Jolla Lightning swim team is practicing regularly! If your child would like to get involved, swimmers should be proficient in 100 yards freestyle with rotary breathing, 100-200 IM based on ability, 25-50 yards butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke and freestyle. Learn more about swim teams at the Y.
Jump into fun with gymnastics! Toddlers and teens can grow strong, get confident and find balance in a safe, fun and encouraging environment. Learn more.
PRESCHOOL OPEN GYM
Registration is open for Preschool Open Gym! Every Monday, Wednesday and Thursday from 10:00-11:00am, preschool gymnasts can jump, tumble, explore and practice their training outside of class in an unstructured, but supervised setting. Note: Registration opens the day of. Register online.
PARENT AND CHILD PROGRAMS
Join in as we expand our parent and child enrichment classes for parents and kids! We will have new art and music classes and rookie sports for those ages 6 months to 5 years!
Adventure Clubs offers a unique experience for parents and their children to enjoy a mix of group activities and outdoor adventures while creating close and enduring relationships. Learn more.
This program provides a safe environment where children will engage in imaginative play and activities that stretch both mind and body, including physical education, creative arts, science, cooking, swimming and more! Learn more.
Join us in February for our newly expanding parent and child enrichment classes!
- Music & Art — Tuesdays | 10:00 - 11:00am
- Rookie Sports — Saturdays | 10:00am - 11:00am
Y's Active Adults
- Crocheting and Knitting Club — Mondays | 9:00-10:30am | CR1: Knit, crochet, and socialize with other members! Work on projects together and share ideas. Bring your own supplies; the YMCA can also assist in providing knitting supplies to get you started!
- Mahjong Monday — Mondays | 11:00am-3:00pm | CR2: Show off your competitive side and see if you can be the champion of Mahjong Monday! Free for members and welcome to all levels. Learn as you go or just observe if you are a mahjong newbie.
- Coffee Club — Tuesdays | 9:30-10:30am | Member Lounge: Coffee Club is our Y Active Adults focus group. Share your ideas, give feedback and help us select the clubs, trips and activities offered here at Dan McKinney Family YMCA.
- Walking Club — Wednesdays | 9:30am | Welcome Center: Enjoy a walk with fellow Y members as we explore our surrounding neighborhood. Bring your walking shoes!
- Book Club — Second Thursday | 12:30-2:00pm | CR1: Join us for a discussion about the book of the month at our book club group! Please visit our Welcome Center for information on our monthly reading.
- Art Club — Thursdays | 10:00am-12:00pm | CR2: Join us as we follow along art instruction videos to create a masterpiece using different art techniques. We encourage members to bring their own supplies, as we have limited supplies available.
- Pickleball Club — Fridays | 9:00 -10:30am | Outdoor Courts: Come enjoy a few games of pickleball with fellow members! Space is limited — participation is on a first-come, first-served basis. Free equipment check-out is available. Members are responsible for setup and takedown.
- Friday Movie Matinee — Fridays | 12:00pm | Member Lounge: Join us for a movie and freshly popped popcorn at our Friday Movie Matinee club!
*These events are free for members to attend. Registration is required, except for our Pickleball Club. All clubs are subject to cancellation. Please check in at our Welcome Center.
Community Support Services
Connecting You To Care
We've streamlined the child care search process with our enhanced referral system to help parents make the best decision for their families. Learn more!
KEEP IN TOUCH
CONNECT ON SOCIAL
Visit our subscription center to opt in for text-message alerts to ensure you receive updates that may affect your visit to the Y.