New For You At Dan McKinney Family YMCA
Check here for news about special happenings and updates that may affect your visit to the Y! Scroll down to see more specific information for different programming areas.
DAY CAMP: WINTER BREAK
Registration is open!
Secure your spot in our popular day camps for Winter 2023! Make sure your My Y account is set up and register for our most popular camps today.
- December 18–22, 2023
- December 26–29, 2023
UPCOMING HOLIDAY CLOSURES
Please note that we will have modified hours throughout the upcoming holiday season. Our upcoming closures and modified branch hours are located below. We wish everyone a happy holiday!
- Sunday, December 24: Closed
- Monday, December 25: Closed
- Monday, January 1: 7:00am–2:00pm
Additional Program Closures and Hours:
- No classes: Monday, December 16 through Monday, January 1.
PATIO TILE RENOVATION
Beginning on Monday, November 13, 2023, Dan McKinney Family YMCA will begin replacing the patio tile outside the locker rooms that connect to the building and Aquatic Center. This project is estimated to be complete by the beginning of January 2024. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.
GYMNASTICS CENTER AND SPORTS GYMNASIUM UPDATES
We are thrilled to share that repairs and improvements to our gymnastics center are completed! Our previous gymnastics center is being renovated into a sports gymnasium. The sports gymnasium will feature a new wood floor surface and a court designed for basketball, volleyball, pickleball and futsal. We anticipate completion of this project to be early 2024. As a reminder, members have full access to other YMCAs across San Diego County, the closest with sports gymnasiums being Ryan Family YMCA and Mission Valley YMCA.
Learn more about impacted facilities and keep up to date on timelines here.
HOLIDAY FESTIVITIES AROUND THE Y
Celebrate the holidays this month with your family and friends at the Y! YMCAs all throughout San Diego County are hosting holiday events and special programming to help you enjoy the holiday season. View all events.
Y Community Plus members have unlimited access to Child Watch services at 12 YMCA branch locations across San Diego County. With easy reservations through the YMCA app, you can focus on your fitness or unwind at the Y while your children play under the supervision of highly trained YMCA staff. Not yet a Y Community Plus member? Y members can upgrade to the Y Community Plus membership plan by stopping by any location. If you currently have Child Watch services as an add-on to your family membership, you may continue to use Child Watch services on a drop-in basis. Learn more here.
- Child Watch hours: Mondays - Sundays, 8:30am – 1:00pm | Mondays - Thursdays, 3:00pm – 6:00pm | Fridays, 8:30am – 1:00pm.
Find out more about our aquatics facility at Dan McKinney Family YMCA and other pools around the county by visiting our aquatics facilities section page.
HEALTH AND WELL-BEING
We're here to help you find what moves you at the Y!
HEALTH COACHING AT THE Y
A health coach can help you be accountable, get perspective on your strengths and identify areas for opportunity. They empower you to create or further develop your vision for healthy living. Check out our health coaching page for more information!
Your health is more than just what you eat or how often you exercise. Experience a new whole well-being approach is that is individualized, sustainable and transformational. Sessions are conducted in-person or virtually and have been designed to:
- Produce meaningful and long-term behavior change
- Identify motivators and resources for achieving your highest potential
- Uncover your success that lies within you through guided support
- Create and implement a plan for achieving your goals
- Develop lasting and restorative self-care practices
Personal Health Coaching Fee: $70/members | $90/participants.
Group Coaching Fee: $202/members | $269/participants
For more information or to register, visit our front desk or contact Jeremy Sobotka at [email protected].
LIVESTRONG at the YMCA engages cancer survivors through an approach that focuses on the whole person — mind and body. Through this program participants work with trained Y staff to improve cardiovascular endurance and functional ability, build muscle mass and strength, and increase flexibility. In addition to physical benefits, the program also focuses on the mental and emotional well-being of survivors and their families. This creates a supportive community environment where people affected by cancer can connect during treatment and beyond. Get more information online here.
GROUP FITNESS CLASSES
Be sure to check our group fitness class schedule for new classes and updates. Remember, members have unlimited access to classes!
The following 5 classes will have reservation options:
- Mondays | 5:40pm – Strength with Alex
- Tuesdays | 5:00pm – U-Jam with Emily
- Wednesdays | 9:30am – HIIT with Mia
- Thursdays| 7:30am – Zumba with Christina
- Saturdays | 9:45am – Strength with Rachel
HEALTH AND WELLNESS ORIENTATION
Meet with a wellness coach to get acquainted with equipment and classes, ask questions and chart a path to reach your goals. Schedule your 30-minute orientation at the Welcome Center! Learn more.
For any questions or concerns regarding Health and Wellness, please contact Jeremy Sobotka at [email protected].
Reiki therapy sessions with Lanie Chapman, certified Reiki master with more than 30 years of experience. Reiki is an ancient, safe, natural and proven healing technique for stress reduction and relaxation, mental clarity, reduction of pain, improved sleep, increase of confidence and self-esteem.
To schedule a reiki session, please visit the front desk or give us a call.
For more information or questions, please contact Jeremy Sobotka at [email protected].
Working with a personal trainer can help you reach your goals and maximize your fitness potential! Improve your training with our class packages. Learn more about personal training here.
InBody body-composition assessments are available by appointment. Get a detailed breakdown of your lean tissue, water and fat mass in just 45 seconds. Now you can leave the guessing behind and know exactly what is inside your body! Free with a purchase of a PT package or $20 for members, $30 for non-members. See a coach or trainer to get signed up or contact Jeremy Sobotka, [email protected].
YOGA: PRIVATE LESSONS
Deepen your yoga practice with private yoga lessons. Be heard, be seen, transform and rise to your full potential! Contact Jeremy Sobotka at [email protected] for more information or schedule your private lesson.
Private lessons - Private lesson sessions with Eric are now available every day of the week to help you improve your game! Register online or at the front desk, then email Jeremy at [email protected] to schedule your appointment time. - Register now!
Pickleball club - Come and play pickleball on Fridays, 9:00am - 10:30am, on the outdoor courts. Check in at the Welcome Center prior to play — we have limited spots, and play is first come, first served. Members may check out equipment at the Welcome Center, and are responsible for setting it up and taking it down. Learn more about pickleball here.
- Private lessons now available with Eric! Register online or at the front desk, then email Health & Wellness Director Jeremy Sobotka at [email protected] to schedule your appointment.
FAMILY & KIDS
Family-time is special at the Y. Spending time together or discover new activities for your child to explore.
Thursdays | 4:00-6:00pm | Ages 13+ — Join us for Art Club every Thursday beginning August 3! For more information, please visit our Welcome Center.
Jump into fun with gymnastics! Toddlers and teens can grow strong, get confident and find balance in a safe, fun and encouraging environment. Learn more.
Sign up for group or private swim lessons! Register today.
- Our La Jolla Lightning swim team is practicing regularly! If your child would like to get involved, swimmers should be proficient in 100 yards freestyle with rotary breathing, 100-200 IM based on ability, 25-50 yards butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke and freestyle. Learn more about swim teams at the Y.
PARENT AND CHILD PROGRAMS
Join in as we expand our parent and child enrichment classes for parents and kids! We will have new art and music classes and rookie sports for those ages 6 months to 5 years!
SPLASH PAD BIRTHDAYS
The splash pad is now available for birthday parties! Contact our aquatics department to reserve your two-hour party time on Saturdays or Sundays!
Learn about preschool at Dan McKinney Family YMCA.
The Adventure Center is open on Saturdays and Sundays for open play from 9:00am–12:30pm for those age 6-12 years old with child watch memberships.
Adventure Clubs at the YMCA nurture the relationships between parents and children through camping and other outdoor activities. Enjoy weekend campouts (tent and cabin camping) from the desert to the mountains and beaches. Parents and their children can look forward to making new friends and participating in activities such as hiking, biking, fishing, kayaking, crafts, campfire skits and more! Learn more.
This program provides a safe environment where children will engage in imaginative play and activities that stretch both mind and body, including physical education, creative arts, science, cooking, swimming and more! Learn more.
Join us for our newly expanding parent and child enrichment classes!
- Music & Art — Tuesdays | 10:00 - 11:00am
- Rookie Sports — Saturdays | 10:00am - 11:00am
Y’s Active Adults (55+)
- Crocheting and Knitting Club — Tuesdays | 10:00am - 1:00pm | CR1: Knit, crochet, and socialize with other members! Work on projects together and share ideas. Bring your own supplies; the YMCA can also assist in providing knitting supplies to get you started!
- Mahjong Monday — Mondays | 11:00am-1:00pm | CR2: Show off your competitive side and see if you can be the champion of Mahjong Monday! Free for members and welcome to all levels. Learn as you go or just observe if you are a mahjong newbie.
- Coffee Club — Mondays | 9:00-10:00am | Member Lounge: Coffee Club is our Y Active Adults focus group. Share your ideas, give feedback and help us select the clubs, trips and activities offered here at Dan McKinney Family YMCA.
- Walking Club — Wednesdays | 9:30am | Welcome Center: Enjoy a walk with fellow Y members as we explore our surrounding neighborhood. Bring your walking shoes!
- Book Club — Second Thursday | 12:30-2:00pm | CR1: Join us for a discussion about the book of the month at our book club group! Please visit our Welcome Center for information on our monthly reading.
- Pickleball Club — Fridays | 9:00 -10:30am | Outdoor Courts: Come enjoy a few games of pickleball with fellow members! Space is limited — participation is on a first-come, first-served basis. Free equipment check-out is available. Members are responsible for setup and takedown.
- Friday Movie Matinee — Fridays | 12:00pm | Member Lounge: Join us for a movie and freshly popped popcorn at our Friday Movie Matinee club!
*These events are free for members to attend. All clubs are subject to cancellation. Please check in at our Welcome Center.
Y Active Adult Activities Around the County
More to explore
View our Y Active Adults page to view programming and activities around the county.
PARENTS NIGHT OUT: OPEN GYM NIGHT
Drop your kids off for a night out on the Y on Friday, December 8, 6:00–9:00pm. Kids will enjoy having fun in the gymnastics center while parents enjoy a night out. This event will include open gym for kids, ages 6-12, with a provided dinner of delicious pizza.
- Cost: $69 per child for nonmembers | $55 members (prices vary depending on Y membership type) - Register today online or at the Welcome Center!
LIVE WELL ON WHEELS
Join us as the Live Well on Wheels (Live WoW) bus will visit Dan McKinney Family YMCA on the second Wednesday of every month at 9:00am-2:00pm to provide members access to a variety of health and community services – on the go! The bus is fully equipped to offer a variety of resources including disaster response services, health screenings and will have representatives ready to assist members in living healthier lives.
Live WoW is free and open to people of all ages. No registration is required.
- Craft Club — Tuesdays | 5:30-7:00pm | CR2: Share your crafting ideas, projects and work with others to learn new crafting techniques. Our Y has a Cricut machine and Cricut mug press that attendees are welcome to use!
- Sunset Walking Club — Wednesdays | 6:00pm | Welcome Center: Get your walking shoes ready! Join us for a walk to explore our surrounding neighborhood and enjoy a beautiful sunset. We encourage members to bring their strollers, too!
- Evening Book Club — Third Thursday | 5:30-7:00pm | CR2: Join us for a discussion about the book of the month at our book club group! Please visit our Welcome Center for information on our monthly reading.
*These events are free for members to attend. Registration is required. All clubs are subject to cancellation. Please check-in at our Welcome Center.
Did you know you could help save up to three lives by giving blood? The YMCA of San Diego County has partnered with the San Diego Blood Bank to host blood drives across the county this year. Help address a critical need for blood donations in our community! Make an appointment here or call (619) 400-8251.
Y in the COMMUNITY
CONNECTING YOU TO CARE
We've streamlined the child care search process with our enhanced referral system to help parents make the best decision for their families. Learn more!
HELP PAYING FOR CHILD CARE
Do you or someone you know need help paying for child care?
The San Diego County Centralized Eligibility List (CEL) is one application that connects you to different agencies across San Diego to help pay for child care for families who qualify. Child care has become the second-largest expense for families – spending up to 50% of their household budget a year. See if you qualify for this service today.
KEEP IN TOUCH
CONNECT ON SOCIAL
Visit our subscription center to opt in for text-message alerts to ensure you receive updates that may affect your visit to the Y.