What's New This Month At Mission Valley YMCA
Support Your Local Storyteller
It’s a fact that strong, stable, secure families form a solid foundation for the growth and success of all family members, particularly children in low-income areas.
At the YMCA of San Diego County, we are committed to reach out to kids and families regardless of income, to provide support by engaging in the Y. We are able to do so with the donations to our Annual Support Campaign, an annual fundraising effort to provide scholarship, inclusion and subsidized programs to our growing communities.
Consider supporting your local community and giving today.
Popular Family Activities
Kids Y Night
Fun For All • February 22, March 14 & 28 • 4:00-8:00 pm • Ages 3-12
A fun night for EVERYONE! Enjoy an adult evening out while your kids have a blast at the Y — doing crafts, playing games, watching a movie and having fun!
Monthly Family Programs
Family Activities • February 18, March 14, 24 & 31
Please register for all programs online or at the Welcome Center. Parents must stay on-site. All ages welcome.
- Snack & Play: Thursday, February 18 at 11:00am: Meet at the picnic tables outside the big playground and make some tasty cupid’s arrows.
- Fun Science: Saturday, March 14
- Crafts & Creations: Tuesday, March 24
- Snack & Play: Thursday, March 31
Spring Break Camp
Best Spring Ever! • March 30 - April 3
Our week-long camps are exciting ways to spend a school break! We include lots of action-packed trips and activities that keep your children engaged and happy, like daily field trips, arts & crafts, sports and games.
Krause Family Skate Park
Skate, Scoot & Bike! • Session Passes & Private Lessons
We are the place for skateboarding, in-line skating, scooters and bikes! At our skate park, we strive to provide a fun and positive environment for children and adults to enjoy their need for extreme sports. Several professional athletes practice here regularly, but this park is open and available for people of all ages and skills to enjoy. There is much to enjoy, so pad up and get on over to the park! We offer open drop in sessions and private lessons. Learn more here.
Youth Dance Classes
Just Dance • Ages 3-10
Our youth dance classes are fun, healthy and challenging, and come in a wide range of dance types. Your child will learn basic ballet dance positions: plie, releve, saute and posture or carriage. Tap students will work on timing with the beat of the music, as well as basic shuffle, flaps, shuffle hop, flap hop and a few turns.
Youth Volleyball Clinic
Play & Learn • Ages 9-14
Bump, spike and set at the Y! Our volleyball clinics focus on teaching your child the rules of the game, and improving their skills. Clinics are a excellent way for players of all levels to improve their skill set and get ready for high school play while also making friends with teammates and learning sportsmanship. Our clinics are a blast, and offer children and teens a great way to stay in shape and be social
Youth Sports Leagues
Get in the Game! • Spring Sports Begin in March
No matter your child's age of interest, we have a fun and engaging program for it that focuses on teamwork, friendly competition, athletics and encouragement.
From preschool sports to youth volleyball clinics, from soccer to recreational basketball leagues, we have a program that can help your kids get in the game, break a sweat and learn something new! Spring Youth Sports Leagues will begin in March.
Preschool Sports Leagues
Coed Multisport • Mondays
Coed Basketball • Saturdays
Coed Soccer • Saturdays
Coed T-Ball • Saturdays
Ongoing Activities for Your Children
Sports • Bring your game to the Y this season! Browse Sports Activities
Dance • Dancing is a fun and creative workout experience that's fun for all ages! Browse Dance Activities
Pool • We offer lap swim, recreational swim, and aquatics activities. View Pool Schedule
Swim • Swim lessons provide a lifetime of safety and fun in the water. Browse Swim Lessons
Digital Studio Winter Programs
Mission Valley YMCA Digital Studio provides a safe, out-of-school learning opportunity for students from under-resourced communities. It serves as an after-school outlet where local youth can tap into their passions and develop skills in a learning environment outfitted with high-tech tools for mixing and editing music, developing video projects, creating art and more! See below for our winter programs:
- LEGO EV3 Mindstorms: Intro to Robotics: Are you interested in learning about Robotics? In this course, we will build and create a code to complete different challenges. Then we'll explore the use of different sensors like motion and color sensors to complete tasks.
- LEGO WeDo Robotics: In this class, we will learn about physics concepts like friction, learn about gear ratios, energy sources and more. Build a Luna Rover or a Helicopter all while learning about different sensors. Once you finish building your project, learn to program your robot using block coding to make your robot come to life!
- Intro to Game Design with Scratch: In this class, we will jump into the world of game design using the Scratch program. Learn to code while creating different types of games including brick break, maze games, and platform games. We will learn how to apply loops, conditional if-then statements, and variables using Scratch block coding.
Digital Studio Spring Programs
- Intro to Adobe Photoshop: Express your creative sideusing the Photoshop program to learn graphic design and photo editing. Learn to edit your images, layer or merge different photos together, or create your own logo. In this class, we will learn the basics features and tools of Photoshop and how to effectively use them on various projects. April 21-June 2
- Lego WeDo 2.0: Intermediate Robotics: Dive deeper into the world of Robotics and Coding with the LEGO WeDo system. Practice your engineering skills as we build projects like the X-Wing and AT-ST from Star Wars. Learn about different physics concepts like balanced and unbalanced forces and use computational thinking to create code and build a robot to solve various challenges. April 23-June 4
- Lego WeDo Robotics: Explore the world of robotics with the Lego WeDo system! In this class we will learn about physics concepts like friction, learn about gear ratios, energy sources and more! Build a Luna Rover or a Helicopter all while learning about different sensors. Once you finish building your project, learn to program your robot using block coding to make your robot come to life! April 25 - May 23
Les Mills Annual Campaign Fundraising Event
Lift, Kick, Love • Saturday, February 22 • 1:30-4:00 pm
Join us for a fun-filled, cause-driven afternoon that features three different Les Mills formats. We’ll start off with a technique boot camp featuring one-on-one instruction. Then get ready for back-to-back BODYPUMP, BODYCOMBAT, and CXWORX classes! While you work out, learn about Annual Campaign and the services the Y provides to our community and how you can get involved. This event supports our Annual Campaign! $20 donations appreciated.
Fit Steps with Chris - Annual Campaign
Move to the Music • Saturday, March 7 • 5:00 pm
Help support Annual Campaign by line dancing to a huge variety of Ballroom and Latin dances like the Jive, Cha Cha, Quickstep, Tango, Flamenco, Samba, Rumba, Waltz, Disco, Charleston, and more! No partner or dance experience necessary. Funds raised from this event will help support program and membership scholarships for our community! Donations accepted at the door.
LiveSTRONG at the YMCA
Healing the Whole Person • Mondays and Wednesdays • Next session begins February 2020
Participants work with Y staff trained in supportive cancer care to safely achieve their goals such as building muscle mass and strength; increasing flexibility and endurance; and improving confidence and self-esteem. If you are interested or know anyone who may benefit from this program, please contact Barb Madsen at [email protected]. Intake interview and medical clearance required.
Challenge Yourself • Multiple dates and times available
Our certified personal trainers use their knowledge of current research concepts, methods of sound exercise principles, and state-of-the-art equipment to guide you to your fitness goals. Based on your health and individual needs, our personal trainers will customize and implement a program to fit your goals. No matter your fitness level, nothing can replace the support, challenge, and accountability that come with a trainer onboard your workout.
Adult Soccer Leagues
Shoot and Score • Upcoming Leagues
Arena Soccer has all the excitement of playing outdoor soccer with the added fun of passing and dribbling off the walls. See below for offered leagues:
- Men's 40+ League: Saturdays beginning February 8
- Men's 18+ League: Sundays beginning February 9
Ongoing Y Active Adult Activities
Spring Pickleball Shootout Tournament
8:15-11:00 am • April 3
All levels welcome (must know how to play and score).
Trail Walkers: Del Dios Gorge
7:45 am • March 21
Join the Mission Valley Trail Walkers group as we go on a fun walk and visit a different trail each month.
6:30 pm • February 19
Turning 65 or new to Medicare? Get your questions answered. Presented by Mike Powell, United Healthcare.
Bladder and You
11:30 am • March 11
This workshop will touch on common urinary dysfunctions and interventions to help educate and empower all ages. Registration is required.
Strength Training with Osteoporosis
1:30 pm • March 16
Learn the importance of strength training in managing osteoporosis. You will also lean some do’s and don’ts to keep you strong and safe. Wear comfortable clothing.
Pageant of Our Lord Living Art Show with Choir
7:45 am • March 21
This two-hour performance is accompanied by original narration along with an 80-voice choir and a full live orchestra. Your tour includes reserved theater seating for the pageant and a pre-show lunch at Souplantation in Torrance.
Pickleball Open Play
Monday, Wednesday, Friday 8:00-10:45am (Intermediate) • Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 8:00-10:45am (Beginners)
Takes place at Mission Valley YMCA. Play this fun game that combines tennis, ping-pong and badminton. Bring your own paddle and ball; supplies limited.
9:30 am • February 25
Tour Petco Park and then we will visit the Spaghetti Factory for lunch. Fee includes trolley ride and tour of Petco Park.
Transportation Apps Workshop
6:00 pm • February 28
This workshop will teach you how to download and use transportation apps, such as, Lyft and Uber. Also, how to us Google maps. Registration is required.
Borrego Wildflowers & Sculptures
8:00 am • March 5
Embark on a day trip that takes you from the refreshing pine forests and brilliant lavender lilacs in the mountains of Julian to the colorful wildflower blossoms and incredible giant metal sculptures on the low desert floor of Borrego Springs.
11:00 am • March 20
Take a two hour harbor cruise & sea lion adventure in San Diego with Hornblower. Enjoy the best harbor tour on the San Diego Bay. Registration is required.
Dancing with the Stars, Live! At the Microsoft Theater
1:00 pm • March 29
Sizzling salsa, tantalizing tango, fabulous freestyle… you’ll get to see it all in this exciting tour to see Dancing with the Stars, Live! Your tour includes reserved orchestra seating at the spectacular Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles, along with time on your own for dinner at L.A. Live.
Girls on the Run
February 14 • 8:00 - 11:00 am
In celebration of our partnership between the YMCA and Girls on the Run we are offering a waived joining fee on YMCA Family memberships for Girls on the Run participants at the Mission Valley YMCA. Please bring this flyer to the front desk at the time of sign up. Promotion valid from 2/25/20 -3/31/20. Financial assistance is available. CODE: VAGOTR
Look at the New for You pages of the YMCA branches near you to see what exciting events you can attend at the Y! Take advantage of your all-access membership and our 18-branch network!
- Toby Wells YMCA (Kearny Mesa)
- Dan McKinney Family YMCA (La Jolla)
- Rancho Family YMCA (Rancho Penasquitos)
- Beach & Bay Family YMCA (Pacific Beach)
- Ryan Family YMCA (Point Loma)
- Copley-Price Family YMCA (Kensington)
- Jackie Robinson Family YMCA (Southeast San Diego)
Visit us on Facebook
Like us on Facebook and stay up to date on new programs and announcements. Visit us here.