At the YMCA of San Diego County, we believe all kids deserve the chance to experience the life-changing power of camp. Since 1882, our camps have inspired kids with countless opportunities to laugh, lead and make lasting friendships.
We offer a unique learning environment where youth are introduced to outdoor experiences, can nurture their passions and explore new interests.
WHAT’S THE SAME
- Wide variety of activities for your child to explore
- Outdoor play
- Opportunity to make friends
- Peace of mind for working parents
For the best experience, create or sign into your My Y Profile first. Also, please note that an active membership is required at the time of the program start date to receive the member pricing discount.
Need Help or Have Questions?
If you have any questions or need help registering, email us at [email protected].
Our top priority is the health and safety of our campers, their families, our staff and the community. We are working closely with local health officials, the American Camp Association and the CDC to ensure all recommended safety measures are met.
While the COVID-19 virus is challenging us to make camp look different this year, you’ll find the same high-quality camp experience you’ve come to expect from the Y.
Since 1882, our camps have inspired kids with countless opportunities to laugh, lead and make lasting friendships, and we vow to continue that tradition in 2020!
Our day camp operations will meet or exceed the required standards set forth by local and national experts to ensure a safe experience, including:
- Campers must bring food for the day, including snacks and a non-perishable lunch, stored in their own bag (lunches are not refrigerated).
- Campers should also bring water in a refillable water bottle.
- Parents should apply sunscreen before campers arrive at camp in the morning, as staff will no longer be able to apply sunscreen to campers upon request. Additional sunscreen will be made available throughout the day, but campers will need to apply their own sunscreen.
- Daily temperature checks are mandatory for all campers and staff before check-in. Any camper with a temperature exceeding 100°F will not be allowed to attend camp that day.
- Low staff-to-camper ratios based on the age range of campers:
- 5 Years Old: 1 staff to 6 campers
- 6-8 Years Old: 1 staff to 8 campers
- 9-11 Years Old: 1 staff to 10 campers
- 12-17 Years Old: 1 staff to 12 campers
- Camp groups will retain the same assigned staff all week.
- Frequent handwashing and enhanced sanitation practices.
- Staff will sanitize supplies and facilities throughout the day.
- Camp activities will follow social distancing guidelines.
- Camp groups will have limited to zero interaction with other groups, following social distancing guidelines.
- Campers will participate in on-site activities only.
- Suspended activities include field trips; swimming/pool activities; large group activities; family events including end-of-camp performances and/or concerts.
- Staff has been provided with personal protective equipment (PPE), including masks and gloves.
- Staff has been trained in new COVID-19 procedures and safety protocols.
The safety of our campers, their families and our staff is our top priority, which is why we’ve implemented additional protective measures that include increased cleaning, sanitizing, prescreen health checks and physical distancing.
Following guidance set forth by federal, state and local authorities, as well as the American Camp Association and Y-USA experts, we’ve implemented the following guidelines to enhance safety:
- Any staff having contact with more than one group is required to wear a face mask, campers are encouraged too
- Staff and campers are required to wear masks when inside public areas and not social distancing. Most camps operate outdoors with activities in environments designed for social distancing
- Staff, adults and campers are required to wear masks when checking in and out each day
Our team will continue to monitor county guidelines as they relate to Day Camp and implement any changes to safety procedures promptly.
Camp swim is back! With the phased reopening of our branches continues, some of our locations with pools will offer swim time to our campers.
If you are notified that swim is being offered at your day camp location, and if your child wishes to swim, please pack them with:
Goggles (not required)
- Swim floaties (YMCA can provide if necessary)
Additional Camp Swim Information:
To maintain a fun and safe swim environment, the Y has enacted the following changes to our camp swim procedures:
- Limited the size of camper groups using the pool at a time so that campers and staff are able to maintain social distancing guidelines as outlined by the CDC & local health departments.
- Allowing additional time between camper groups for disinfecting high-touch points and life jackets.
Our pool has different swim zones that are designated for campers that meet height and swimming requirements.
- Shallow Zone (3ft 6in): Campers need to be 48in+
- For campers under 48in, we will provide Coastguard approved lifejackets for each camper.
- Deep End (Max Depth: 6ft): Campers are required to comfortably pass a swim test every day.
- Swim Test: Campers must be able to swim 25yds freestyle (with face in the water unless to breathe). Campers must be able to tread water (with swimmers whole head out of water) for 1 minute.
We are only operating day camp at facilities that are equipped to accommodate our new safety guidelines.
If you had previously registered for camp at a facility that is not listed above, check our locations page to see which of the above facilities are closest to you.
Full Day Camp:
- Camp Hours: 8:00am - 4:30pm
- Drop-off Hours: 8:00 - 9:00am (Expect Delays)
- Pick-up Hours: 3:30 - 4:30pm
- Camp Hours: 8:30am - 12:30pm
- Drop-off Hours: 8:30 - 9:30am (Expect Delays)
- Pick-up Hours: 11:30am - 12:30pm
Authorized parent(s)/guardian(s) must accompany their camper through the mandatory sign-in process, which includes a temperature check and an intake screening. Any camper with a temperature exceeding 100°F degrees will not be allowed to attend camp that day.
Authorized parent(s)/guardian(s) must also wear a face mask that covers their nose and mouth, and use their own pen for the legal signature required at drop-off and pick-up. A government-issued photo ID is also required at pick-up.
LATE PICK-UP POLICY
Children not picked up at the end of the camp day will be supervised by our staff.
A fee of $1 per minute will be charged when camp closes. For example: A full day of camp ends at 4:30 pm, and if a child is picked up at 4:56 pm, there will be a charge of $26. Every attempt will be made to contact parents or a listed authorized pick-up.
If by 5:30pm all contacts are not reachable, and the child has not been picked up, Child Protective Services will be contacted. A late fee will be assessed starting at 4:30 pm according to our clock.
Camp Friend Requests
Making friends and building healthy relationships is an important part of camp. If your child wants to be in the same group as another camper, please notify your Camp Director as soon as possible. We cannot guarantee accommodation, but we will do our best to honor your request.
ADDITIONAL DAY CAMP POLICIES
For more information about Day Camp at the YMCA of San Diego, visit our Day Camp Policy page here.
- Limited the size of camper groups using the pool at a time so that campers and staff are able to maintain social distancing guidelines as outlined by the CDC & local Health Departments.
- Allowing additional time between camper groups for disinfecting high-touch points and life jackets.
- All registrations must be made online at ymcasd.org.
- A $25 deposit can be made at the time of registration to save a spot in camp without immediately paying the full amount. Deposits made after the first week of camp are non-refundable – but can be applied as a deposit for another camp (up to the second day of camp) if space is available.
- Full payment is due by end-of-day Monday, a week before camp. Non-payment will result in the camper being removed from the roster and their space becoming available to new registrants.
- Due to health and safety protocols, we can only offer day camp to a limited number of campers. Registration is based on a first-come, first-served basis. We encourage anyone interested in camp to register as soon as possible.
- These unprecedented times have created an unprecedented need for financial assistance. Please email us at [email protected] to discuss options that may be available to you.
- Vouchers can be applied to new day camp registrations during checkout.
- Vouchers are tied to the same account you registered with, and are applied to new programs during the checkout process.
- You can also choose to apply the voucher to another Y program, convert the voucher into a refund, or donate all or part of it to help support the YMCA’s efforts in supporting our community.
- If you register for a camp and do not see the voucher application option appear during the checkout process, don't worry — simply register for the camp with a $25 deposit to save your space, then email us at [email protected] for help.
- Requests must be received by the Wednesday before camp starts
- Requests must be provided by the families of both campers
- Both campers must be registered for the same camp
- Campers are limited to 1 friend request per camper each week
These ultra-spirited, fun-filled summer camps are full of big themes, big ideas and big fun!
Each week will have a different theme that will guide our activities and trips for the week.
Set in the YMCA style of different crazy activities each and every day, your camper will have a great time at one of our extraordinary facilities.
Focusing on Unique Subjects!
Our phenomenal specialty day camps combine the traditional fun of YMCA summer camps with a more unique and focused experience.
Each specialty summer camp has a wide range of subjects to campers to enjoy.
Teaching Teamwork and Sportsmanship!
Recreational games and skill building with a focus on sportsmanship. Enjoy basketball, soccer, baseball, flag football and many other active games.
Tailored for Young Adults
The YMCA offers fun and challenging camp activities specifically tailored to preteens and teens. Teens will have fun as they learn, grow and thrive under the guidance of caring, well-trained staff members.
Teen Leadership Camps
Leaders in Training (LIT) and Counselor in Training (CIT)
These day camp programs are an excellent opportunity for teens to learn hands-on job experience and responsibilities, while still operating under the supervision of our camp staff team. Additionally, all hours completed within a LIT Placement Day Camp can be recorded as community service hours!
Some of our locations offer a Half-Day Camp option for some of our special interest programs!
When signing up for Half-Day Camps, campers will join the camp only for the time of the camp allotted to the specialized activity at a lower-cost!
All half-day options will allow your camper to either be dropped off or picked up at regular camp times as noted above the camps description. However, parents will be responsible to pick up their camper at the designated time and location for morning programs, or drop off their camper at the designated location and time for afternoon programs.
Special Needs Camp
Low-Ratio Camps with Specialized Care
Youth with developmental disabilities, physical and mental health challenges, or other impairments that may require special attention or benefit from like-situated campers have great options through the Y.
This summer, our inclusion program is still available (at most branches) but space is very limited due to the new health and safety requirements.
If your child has any special needs and you're interested in signing them up for camp, email us at [email protected] for help.
School Break Camps
Kids Can Play and Thrive Throughout the Year
When school’s not session, we provide a fantastic experience where kids can still learn and grow.
Camping Trips for a Parent and Child
This long-standing program is dedicated to strengthening the bonds between parent and child. Adventure Guides is designed to strengthen the relationship through fun activities like hiking and camping.