The Jackie Robinson Family YMCA is dedicated to fostering the ongoing development of our community. We strongly believe in the crucial role played by the growth and progress of our youth. Our Y presents two opportunities for community members: the Building Leaders Award Program and the 2024 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Art, Poetry, Essay and Spoken Word Contest. Explore these opportunities and submit your application today!
BUILDING LEADERS AWARD PROGRAM
Applications are due on Friday, January 26, 2024
We are pleased to announce the Annual Jackie Robinson Family YMCA Awards for high school seniors. The Jackie Robinson Family YMCA is making these scholarships available to support and encourage the pursuit of higher education in an effort to create avenues of opportunity for academic, social and career success.
The Jackie Robinson Family YMCA will award scholarships to graduating high school seniors. Scholarships are paid upon verification of college enrollment and sent directly to the educational institution.
The scholarship is offered to all high school seniors graduating this school year who live in a community serviced by the Jackie Robinson Family YMCA. Special consideration may be given to those who have a history of involvement with the Jackie Robinson Family YMCA. Students must attend school or live in the following zip codes: 91950, 92102, 92105, 92113, 92114, 92136 and 92139.
Deadline for Applications
Application must be received by the JRYMCA no later than the LAST FRIDAY IN JANUARY. NO applications will be accepted after the deadline OR if any of the nine (9) application procedures are omitted. All determinations made by the Scholarship Committee will be final.
All applications will be reviewed by the selection committee. If you are one of the finalists selected, you will be interviewed by appointment at the Jackie Robinson Family YMCA. Awardees will be selected and notified a week later. Scholarship awardees are required to take part in a video interview and attend an orientation/parent meeting during the month of March 2024.
Submit Your Application
Mail or bring application to:
Jackie Robinson Family YMCA
Attn: Awards Committee
151 YMCA Way
San Diego, CA 92102
1. Complete award application form in its entirety.
2. Complete a 200-300 WORD ESSAY (at least one page), typewritten and double spaced, on the following topic:
"How Will a College Education Help Shape the Person I Want to Become and Help Me to Pursue my Career Goals?"
You must tie in Jackie Robinson (the person) AND the Jackie Robinson Family YMCA.
3. Attach an official copy of your CURRENT HIGH SCHOOL TRANSCRIPT.
4. Complete the enclosed Financial Information form.
5. Attach at least one letter of recommendation from a current teacher/faculty member/counselor/coach regarding your scholastic aptitude, qualifications and character. Make sure it is clearly marked as a school reference.
6. Attach at least one letter of recommendation from a representative of one of your community service (outside of school activity). Make sure it is clearly marked as a community service or extracurricular reference.
7. List community service, extracurricular activities and/or work experience since the 9th grade.
1. Complete la forma de la aplicación para la beca.
2. Complete un ensayo de 200-300 palabras (por lo menos una página), escrito a máquina y con renglón de doble espacio, sobre el siguiente tema:
"¿Cómo Una Educación Universitaria Me Ayudará a Ser la Persona Que Quiero Ser y a Seguir mis Metas Profesionales?"
Debe relacionar a Jackie Robinson, el hombre y la organización YMCA. El ensayo necesita ser escrito en inglés.
3. Adjunte una copia oficial de la Lista de Materias y Calificaciones.
4. Complete la forma adjunta de Información Financiera.
5. Adjunte por lo menos una carta de recomendación de un maestro/miembro de la facultad/consejero/coach/ acerca de su aptitud escolar, cualidades y carácter.
6. Adjunte por lo menos una carta de recomendación de servicios comunitarios/actividades extracurriculares.
9. Lista de servicios comunitarios/actividades extracurriculares o experiencia de trabajo desde el noveno grado.
BE THE CHANGE
2024 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Art, Poetry, Essay and Spoken Word Contest
The Jackie Robinson Family YMCA would like to invite San Diego area students to participate in the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Youth Poetry & Art Contest.
Deadline: Friday, December 15, 2023, 5:00pm.
ABOUT THE CONTEST
Theme: How does Dr. King’s dream live on in your life and community?
Divisions: Grades K-2, Grades 3-5, Grades 6-8, Grades 9-12
Criteria: Originality, relevance to the theme and presentation/neatness.
Awards for Each Division:
First place: $100 gift card
Second place: $75 gift card
Submit original entries by mail, e-mail or hand deliver to:*
Jackie Robinson Family YMCA “MLK Contest”
151 YMCA Way
San Diego, CA 92102