Gymnastics at Cameron Family YMCA
Build Strength, Skills and Confidence with Your Friends at the Y
Welcome to Cameron Family YMCA gymnastics, where toddlers to teens (and adults, too!) can grow strong, get confident, find balance and jump into fun. Based on the skills, levels and progressions developed by USA Gymnastics, our gymnasts learn in an encouraging atmosphere as they build skills to progress through each level of the program.
Location and Contacts
Cameron Family YMCA Gymnastics
10123 Riverwalk Drive
Santee, CA 92071
- Department Head Linnea Campbell • [email protected]
- Preschool Coordinator Quinn Bentzen • [email protected]
- Progressive Coordinator Tarin McCauley • [email protected]
- Competitive Team Head Coach Mindy Johnson • [email protected]
Registering for Classes
Class registration is available up to two months in advance. Classes are often full; we suggest registering 2-3 weeks in advance to ensure your child gets the class day/time you want.
Preschool Gymnastics — Ages 1 to 7
The preschool gymnastics program offers age-appropriate instruction to help children gain coordination, balance, listening, social and motor skills — all in a fun gymnastics environment.
- 1, 2 and You— Ages 1-2 (Parent/Child)
- Gymventures 2-3— Ages 2-3 (Parent/Child)
- Gymventures 3 — Ages 3 (our smallest ratio class - 6:1)
- Gymventures 3/4/5 — Ages 3-5
- Gymventures 4/5 — Age 4-5
- Boys Gymventures 4/5 — Ages 4-5
- Boys Supertots — ages 4-5 (must be recommended by coach)
- Supertots — Ages 3-5 (must be recommended by coach)
- Superstars — Ages 4-6 (must be recommended by coach)
- Mini-Comets — Ages 5-7 (must be recommended by coach)
Boys Progressive Gymnastics — Ages 4-12
Boys in progressive classes will have the opportunity to use all of the men’s gymnastics apparatus: floor exercise, pommel horse, still rings, vault, parallel bars, and horizontal bar. Gymnasts will learn gymnastics terminology and develop strength, coordination, flexibility and self-confidence.
- Novice/Level 1
- Level 2
- Level 3/Non-Competitive
Girls Progressive Gymnastics
Girls enrolled in progressive classes will gain experience on each of the four women’s gymnastics apparatus: vault, uneven parallel bars, balance beam and floor exercise. Gymnasts will learn gymnastics terminology and develop strength, coordination, flexibility and self-confidence.
- Novice — 55-minute class (introduction to gymnastics)
- Level 1 — 55-minute class, must pass novice
- Level 2 — 1 hour, 25-minute class; must pass Level 1
- Level 3 — 1 hour, 55-minute class; must pass Level 2
- Open Gym — see schedule below
- Teen Gymnastics — Levels I and II
- Tumbling I — Beginner
- Tumbling II — Intermediate and Advanced
- Tumbling III — Back Handspring Class
- Cheer/Tumbling — I and II
- Adult Gymnastics — Ages 15+
- Gymnastics for Home School — Ages 6-12
The Cameron Family YMCA is home to the Cameron Comets competitive gymnastics team. The Comets compete through USA Gymnastics locally and nationally. Before being considered for the team, a gymnast must successfully complete pre-team and be approved by the program director or head coach. Please contact our program director for more information regarding scheduling, pricing, tryouts and practice times.
You do not need to be enrolled in a class to participate in our open gym sessions.
Preschool (Ages 1-7)
Tuesday • Friday
12 - 12:45pm
Free; parent supervision required
Preschool and School-Age Kids (Ages 1-13)
12:30 - 2:00pm
Teen and Adult (Ages 13+)
8 - 8:55pm
Note: Preschoolers require parent supervision.
Friday Night Clinics
Join our coach for a session focusing on the must-have skills for your child to progress to the next level.
- 6:00 – 6:55pm • Supertots, Superstars, Novice & Level 1
- 7:00 – 7:55pm • Mini Comets, Level 2, Level 3
- Ratio: 6 gymnasts, 1 coach
- Fee (per clinic): $19 (members) / $24 ( participants)
Private lessons are available by appointment for both gymnastics and cheerleading. Private lessons can provide extra time to work on specific skills or routines, especially before try-outs or skill evaluations.
General Information for Progressive Program
Progressive classes have a ratio of 1:8. Depending on registration, there may be fewer than 8.
Attire for Classes
- Girls: Leotards or comfortable shorts and T-shirt.
- Boys: Athletic shorts and T-shirt.
- Avoid clothes with zippers, snaps and buttons
- Students may wear socks or go barefoot.
- Hair must be pulled back.
- No jewelry or gum.
Make-up classes can be scheduled on a space-available basis. Makeups are not guaranteed. Schedule makeups by contacting the staff at Member Service front desk to seel available classes. Please be sure to show up only on the day you are registered for classes.
Progressing to the Next Level
To progress to the next level, a student must be able to perform all skills in their current level. Contact Tarin McCauley for a list of skills required for each level.
Progress reports are done every session for novice and level 1 and every other session for level 2. Level 3 gymnasts can try-out for Jr. Comets (pre-team) twice a year. Try-outs are invite-only by their level 3 coach & usually in May & November.
Your child must complete their progress report & be able to perform all skills before moving to the next level. Gymnasts will progress only at the start of a new session.
If your child is registered in the progressive program (ages 5+), and you are a YMCA member, you can use the facility during class, but you must be present to pick up your child after class.
You may observe your child's class from the viewing area. Parents/guardians are not permitted in the gymnastics center to ensure safety of all.
If you have questions about the gymnastics program or classes at Cameron Family YMCA, call (619) 449-9622.